I don't know what to do about exercise

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I am 25years old who is desperate to lose weight. I am having trouble with figuring out what exercise to do now to lose weight again. When i lost weight the first time as a teen, i used an exercise video everyday but since then i have gained weight over the years and i have tried going to the gym with a friend and working out with a personal trainer in and out of the gym but none has lasted for a long period of time. I know that i don't like going to the gym alone and even when i have gone alone, i have attended classes but never stuck at it because i am still unfit so can't push myself. Also i work 9-5 so i'd rather go home then go to the gym or do any exercise after work. I also don't like the thought of exercising at home cause i like to be out of the house. I live in luton with my mum and my brother and i don't have close friends in luton so i feel on my own.

Basically all i want is to have fun with exercise, be in the outdoors and to be around people but not sure what to do if i don't like the gym, don't have anyone to exercise with (both my mum and bro are not interested and don't have alot of close friends), can't afford to have a personal trainer and not sure about working out at home.

Any advice will be great

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When you say that you want to lose weight I think that you want to reduce the amount of fat that you are carrying. You will not lose weight from exercise alone. It's simple, muscle weighs more than fat and it is a shocking fact of life that to burn fat through exercise is very difficult. You virtually have to run marathons! Please be very aware that it is easy to hurt yourself through exercise. If you damage your back you'll regret that for the rest of your life. Look at your diet. Keep an accurate record of what  you drink and eat for a month. No booze, no nuts, no sweets, no biscuits, no chocolate and no fizzy drinks. No treats. Lose weight by dieting first .
    • Posted

I know that you can't lose weight by exercise alone but i just needed advice about it because i know about the food part. So you think i should focus on the food greatly first, exercise small then increase the exercise gradually?
    • Posted

We are all different. The problem is to define what is meant by exercise. I wore a pedometer for a year and only hit 10,000 steps on five days. For me that's about 6.7 kilometres. If I'm busy at home I can do 3.5 km! If you exercise over-enthusiastically you can hurt yourself badly. So I agree with you, exercise small.
  • Posted

Hi there. despite what the previous poster said about exercise not being terribly helpful, speaking as someone who's also trying to lose weight I've found it to be a huge motivator. If I've made the effort to exercise in the morning, I'm far, far more likely to stay on my 'diet' of eating sensibly and keeping the portions small.

I have a nuimber of strategies. I have a pedometer on my phone and simply by parking x distance away from work, choosing to go to a supermarket to buy a sandwich x distance away rather than eat at my desk means I achieve my ten thousand steps quite easily. If I've only reached 8000 I'm far more likely to feel motivated to have a walk after dinner. Ipod and good tunes and job done smile

Another thing I did was find some friends on facebook who also wanted to be motivated to walk and together we set a challenge to find something to photograph while out on our walk. Monday we'd have to photograph a shoe, Tuesday a stop sign, Wednesday an interesting window, Thursday a blue door and so on and so forth (just examples!). we'd then load our photos into a group album on facebook to prove we'd gone out. It was fun and a great motivator, enough to get us all going. One friend was in South Africa, 2 were in the UK, another in the States and another in Australia. It made the photo challenge really fun because we'd get to see what everyone else saw on their walks too....

I don't know if any of this helps but hope it does. best of luck

x

• Posted

About six years ago I was in a similar situation. I was three stones overweight at the time and I decided to join Slimmers World. I felt a bit out on a limb as I was the only male there with about sixty women. However, it was avery friendly group and I persevered, within about twelve weeks I was down to my ideal weight. After leaving Slimmers World I started to put on weight again and when I had gained ten pounds I rejoined the group and made sure I walked two miles every day, within three weeks I was down to my ideal weight.

I am now on a see saw: between ideal but never more than ten pounds over. About four years ago I decided to become a vegetarian and I find this helps a lot as I now take about a year to put on that ten pounds which gives me a chance to occasionally satisfy my sweet tooth. 

You state you like to be outdoors and around people so please consider going to your local library and ask if there are any walking groups, where you will have friendlly support and be outdoors

Wishing you good health and happiness    Charlie 

• Posted

Hi there

I was in a similar situation, having put on 10kg over a couple of years at university (combined with an injury sustained from sport). I kickstarted my weightloss with the 5:2 diet and running 3-4 times a week. The 5:2 diet helped me get off sugary things and become more aware about the nutrients and calories in different types of food.

To make sure I stuck to my running, I signed myself up for a running competition (a 10.5km run) in the not-too-distant future. I lost about 5kgs through this alone. After a couple of months, I stopped doing the 5:2 diet and started going to the gym. I was lucky to see a personal trainer, because it's cheap at university, twice a week. I would recommend having someone - whether it be a friend, a family member, or a personal trainer - to hold you accountable when first getting into a routine.

I gradually progressed to going to the gym myself 2-3 times a week and seeing a trainer once a week. Now I do a combination of activities - I go running, go to the gym, play badminton, and actually go for swims at the local pool. I eventually lost the remainder of the weight I'd gained, although I'd still like to lose a little more - I'm towards the larger end of a healthy BMI at the moment (74kgs and 176cm tall).

From my experience, it's all about creating a habit and making exercise and eating healthily a part of your lifestyle. It's hard to begin with, but if you have family and friends who you've told about what your plan is, you're probably more likely to stick to it. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.