I don't know what to do any more :((

Posted , 8 users are following.

im hoping at least someone will see this and can relate and help me in some way! Im getting slightly desperate as I feel like ive gone as far as i can go with the doctors, they just dont seem to understand this part enough or maybe dont have enough sympathy or understanding. 

Okay here goes, ive been "diagnosed" with IBS. I get a lot of diarhhoea and constipation as well as wind. Every morning without fail i get trapped wind, some mornings it's just a little that seems to pass quite quickly, other times i can be bent over in agony pacing round my living room for a good half hour, sweating and feeling sick, before i can get it out! I then feel a bit sluggish for the rest of the day. Most people's IBS i read about seems to be affected by food and this is where mine differs as through keeping note i have found that no matter what i eat or how stressed i am i cant seem to control it there is no pattern! having tried many other anti-spasmodics i concluded nothing works for me. 

I want a colonoscopy but my doc is reluctant as I had one 4 years ago but I'm still having problems so surely they need to go back in again. They can't assume by just looking at me. 

Can anyone throw any light on this please ?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear kim,

It's me again, have you tried the low FODMAP diet. This diet does seem to be working for many people with IBS. The theory is that if you elimate foods having short chain carbohydrates which are not well absorbed in the small intestine your IBS condition should improve. Short chain carbohydrates are easily fermented and cause water to enter the large intestine leading to gas, bloating and diarrhoea.

If you google low FODMAP diet you will get lots of information on what you can and cannot eat. I think it is worth a try, it seems to work for me.

Best wishes

Robert

• Posted

Hi Kim, with reference to the fact you have hiatus hernia, as I do also, I eventually found something that keeps the symptoms at bay really well, its called Lansoprazole and you just take one daily (no more) first thing in the morning and I have found it works really well, I only very very occasionally need to take a ranitadine in addition, so could be worth bearing in mind, best wishes
  • Posted

i have tried omeprazole and lanoperazo;e, they both gave me bad leg cramps and muscle aches.

I have also tried the FODMAP diet to no avail.

I think right now I have some sort of bug in my stomach that I picked up overseas a month ago. I also think it's bad maybe because of my very inflamed sore stomach and the IBS.

I had two stool samples done last week which came back negative everything, but they were formed  and fairly normal, this latest one was very watery and loose (sorry) I pray I have a bug that can be sorted with antibiotics as if it comes back clear again I will scream, as I wont know where to go from there sad I feel so ill.

• Posted

Hi Kim, sounds to me like your suffering from Anxiety....GAd or Health Anxiety, both closely linked and believe me...Anxiety can trigger your IBS worse than any foods! I have had IBS for 12 years, for me, that fear that symptoms are something more sinister is the NUMBER 1 CAUSE for all of your triggers.....you have to find the balance between understanding your illness, accepting your illness and dealing with it. I have been stressed and full of anxiety for 2.5months now....had symptoms of IBS for weeks...went to the doctors, blood test and stomach check, Ultrasound scan....she confirmed that something would show in the blood tests and my blood is fine, there is no need to test anything further, I have to stop stressing and this is causing the flare ups......you fear, so you focus on your stomach and this increases the sensitivity in your stomach and your mind focuses more and more which gets you more stressed...a vicious circle.....

You are fine...if your doctors said you are, you have to find a way to accept this diagnosis....search for health anxiety on google...you will see what your experiencing is very much the same...

Accept the Diagnosis of IBS, do some stress relief meditation...things like Tai Chi, Deep Breathing excercises...EFT and so on.....I have been doing it for a week or 2 now only....and I have seen the pains in my stomach completely go at times....then once stressed again....the pains are back.....it is clear we all have those issues with stress

• Posted

I know some of this is anxiety. But the anxiety is because I haven't had a confirmed diagnosis. How can a Doctor diagnose IBS if the haven't excluded other things by endo's top AND bottom ?? They cannot be 100% certain I have IBS if they have not eliminated everything else. 

I wouldn't be anxious if I knew it wasn't some disease that's serious. They haven't told me it isn't. Hence my anxiety. I also do not get this constant diarreah from anxiety. I'm not anxious all the time to get constant diarreah. 

Thanks for your input though. But I know I'm not imagining this or stressing so bad it's giving me constant diarreah. 

• Posted

I know this was posted over a year ago but I am going through exectly the same thing, was you ever diagnosed with anything Kim?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.