I don't know why I have gallstones but what should I do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all I am just looking for some advice really, I am a slim 23 year old male who regularly plays sports etc.. Around 4 years ago I first had that sharp stabbing pain in my upper right abdomen going through to my back, went in an ambulance to hospital and was diagnosed with constipation. This happened 4/5 times before I was finally diagnosed with gallstones 2 years ago. I had another attack not long after being diagnosed and it gave me pancreatitis because it was blocked in the tube ( or something along those lines), I sort of blame this on the lack of support from the hospital on what I should be eating and avoiding, I mean they was serving me fish and chips, pie etc in hospital and I didn't know any different. I then had the camera down my throat to try and remove the gallstones that way but something went wrong and they couldn't remove them (there is 2 medium to large gallstones).

since then I have been watching my diet like a hawk and I am very happy with what I can and can't eat. I eat chocolate regularly, pastries, low fat cheese, muffins etc and none of these have given me an attack I eat them in moderation and never more than 8 grams of fat in one go. Thinking about it only fried food and cheese have given me attacks.. Now the only attack I have had in two years was my fault because I brought the wrong fish pie ( I am fine with the low fat youngs ones but I got the regular one with 4x the fat rolleyes

anyway I am scared to death of hospitals, my mom died aged only 40 a few years ago due to hospital negligence so I'd do anything to avoid having an operation on the nhs, it also doesn't help that I have severe anxiety..  The hospital want me to get it removed but I honestly feel like I can cope and would like to explore all possibilities first.

is it possible I could live happily ever after without getting my gallstones removed and just maintaining a low fat healthy diet? What would you do in my situation? 

I have seen lots of people on these forums that are having difficulties after having their gallbladder removed so even if I go through with it there is no guarantee?

Any my advice would really be appreciated as I have no idea what to do, as I know any decision will last a lifetime.

Thanks, Rich

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pastries are full of fat and so is chocolate. I don't understand how you have managed on this diet for so long.

I was diagnosed with gallstones at Christmas and have been on lo fat diet ever since. I have had several flare ups, even on a lo fat diet.

If I had my main meal between 5 and 6 in the eveing then by the time I went to bed at around 10.30 I was in pain again whatever I had eaten.

I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago and am slowly getting over it.

I was not even in overnight, Day Surgery, really there is nothing to it.

I understand it is difficult to trust the hospitals sometimes when something like this has happened to your family but if you can pluck up the courage I would have your gallbladder out.

Failing that try apple cider vinegar or some strong cider.

• Posted

Neither do I haha, danish pastries are my favorite and they have never set me off. Chocolate I can eat in moderation, I eat sweets ALL the time, I drink coffee, have energy drinks. Basically if a meal has under 10 grams I see that as safe. I obviously avoid greasy foods, oils, butter, cream etc as I see them as too risky.

Damn that must be hard sad what did you even eat during that time? This is what makes me think that my gallstones are not anywhere near as bad as other peoples, Alot of people have an attack after eating anything whereas attacks are rare for me and if I have a bad feeling that an attack is coming i just put a hot waterbottle (as hot as you can take) on the area where my gallbladder is and it tends to calm it, but im not sure if thats al in my head.

I wish I had the same courage as you but I just don't and by the sounds of it you needed the op to just be able to eat normally again where as i'm okay coping like this at the moment, My only worry is would it get worse if I left it.

The cider part sounds good haha I'll have to look more into that! Thanks for your reply smile 

• Posted

Yes the diet is hard. Basically anything below 3g per 100g is classed as low fat. Anything above that and you are in trouble.

But it is surprising what you can have. You have to look at the fat content of tins of stuff you buy. I found some really nice soups. Fresh fruit and veg is fine and go to full skimmed milk.

I suppose if you are not struggling that much at the moment you do not want to go through the op but bear in mind this could get worse.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Richm

your story sounds like mine,I can eat lots of things and it dosnt seem to bring on an attack.the doctors think my pain is coming from my back as movement can make mine worse last attack was feb 15.I have a date for my gall bladder to be remove in August but i going to give the milk thistle and apple cidar ago.my only worry is if i reject the op and i have a attack if one of my stones move then I will have to start the whole thing again from the begining.but i don't want to have the op if there is a 1 in 3 chance that i will still have the pain and then i will have to very careful what i eat and i could be left with all sorts of other problems

so here goes

please let us know how you get on

all the best

Pat

• Posted

Dr Hyda Clark Liver and Gallblader Flush!! You tube it!! Worked for my Brother. Salt tast bad but it works!!
    • Posted

I'll have a look, Thanks smile I'm completely terrified by the idea of them flushes though, All I can think about is if I have a big stone why wont it get stuck in the duct?
  • Posted

I had my GB removed last month, but I can say that a zero fat diet helped me considerably.   Also pressed apple juice (not from concentrate) will help as it contains something called Mallic Acid which softens the gallstones which are then expelled when you go to the toilet.    Regarding your anxiety - I can recommend the Bach remedies which they sell in most chemists including Boots  - they really do work.  There are several you can take for anxiety :-

"Rock Rose: Helps you when you experience terror or fright and you feel frozen and unable to move or think clear.

Mimulus:  Helps you when you feel fear, the type of fear that you can identify such as fear of spiders, being alone, losing a job, illness etc. You are overly sensitive, get embarrassed and nervous.

Cherry Plum: Helps you when you fear that your mind is being over-strained, you feel like you are going to explode or do irrational things. You are afraid of losing control.

Aspen:  Helps you when you feel fearful without knowing why.  You feel that something bad is going to happen, but nothing happens and you cannot tell what you are afraid about.

Red Chestnut: Helps you when you are overly concerned and worried about loved ones. You are distressed and disturbed by other people’s problems.

White Chestnut: Helps you when your mind is cluttered with thoughts, usually arguments, ideas, thoughts which you do not wish to keep repeating in your mind. These thoughts might prevent you from sleeping."

• Posted

Well done on getting yours out, I dont think I could manage on a zero fat diet but to be honest I'd do anything to avoid that pain again. Thanks for that, I have brought a load of pressed apple juice and I am drinking it constantly now. Any chance to break down the stones naturally I am going to take!

Thanks for them I will look in boots later smile

• Posted

Hi RichM

I read your posting and feel what you are going thru. I had my GB removed on May 18 2015. So its been a day,I'm home recovering.

I was scared as you are, researched as you thinkink, read online problem by others who had GB removed etc. What drove me is the risk of having it turning in to cancel or a serious implication as u mentioned .

I had two attack, upset stomach un counted number of times. Change my diet never work I still feel something in my body was not working well.

I pray, visited the surgeon and choose a date, from the day, I visited. so A month.

I was scare as the days turn into day, than hours into hr . Even going under was terrified as a mouse.

GB is not going to get better once it starts that it...cuz so many things could be happening with it. blood flow could dimish etc. So you are young find a good hospital, good surgeon and have it removed.

• Posted

Well done for going through with it. I am now 3 weeks post op.

Still have one or two issues with loose stoold particularly first thing in the morning and stillhaving to be careful what I eat but hugely better than I was with the gallstones. You are absolutely right, get the dratted thing out.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

I hear your symptom is common after post surgey it should go away soon. It should ceased. I had one bowel yesterday so far. I was given meds for constipation. I feel good for removing the stone/ GB. U will recover.
  • Posted

Hi Rich,

My mum and I were just discussing this prior to me seeing your post. She was diagnosed as having gallstones and what she did was drink a cap full of olive oil every day. When she was scanned, they had disappeared. It's known that olive oil reduces cholesterol (obviously gallstones are made up of cholesterol and calcium) and she believes that the olive oil actually dispersed the stones. You may want to try doing this and increasing the amount of olive oil you use to prepare foods, use as dressings, etc. Try and stay away from pastries, cakes, etc because although you are not overeating in terms of amount of fat, you are still putting that *beep* in to your body and feeding the accumulation of cholesterol that has already built up. Eat more things cooked in Rapeseed oil too. I personally feel it's the best oil to cook with, as opposed to other oils like sunflower, etc.

Hope you feel better soon!! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.