I don't know why I smell and how to fix it

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, so for a good 4/5 months now i have noticed a problem with my smell but its confusing. Recently when I go to work, I have been noticing my coworkers commenting on a smell that everyone else smells but me and I have also overheard them specially mentioning that I am the reason for the smell. However, when I ask someone close to me whether I smell, they say that I don't. My mom thinks I'm taking this thing too seriously and that I'm just being crazy. Its taken a toll on my social life. I am a college student and it has caused me to go from a girl who loves being around people to not wanting to even stand on a line for too long for fear that I might smell bad without knowing it and get comments and faces because of it. I am a very clean person. I shower everyday and put perfume or body spray, deodorant and everything like a normal person. Wash my clothes and make sure I'm fresh. I clean myself thoroughly after using the bathroom as well. I don't understand what can be the cause. I really need this to go away fast because its affected my social life in college too much and has made me not want to go to work for fear of smelling. Its weird. I usually start off smelling good and then at some point this smelling bad problem will start to occur. I don't know if anyone can relate but when I do have these smelling occurrences, I feel some radiating heat down there sometimes but I do not smell anything and neither do the people I am with smell anything. Yet strangers will and its embarrassing and I don't know how to fix it. I don't have any strong odor down there as well that might say that its an infection of some sort. I feel so alone with the problem and its causing me to become a little depressed as well because of the embarrassment and social isolation its caused me.

It has definitely made me paranoid in that I get anxious when I'm around a lot of people and I get scared anytime I hear someone say that they smell something. Even people sniffing or covering their noses in anyway even for a second will get me scared. I have never had bad smell or any type of odor problems before so this comes out of the blue for me. I can't seem to make it go away. Even if I try to ignore it, things like suddenly seeing people point me out and overhearing comments will just make it impossible to ignore. I'm going back to college soon and I am really scared that its going to happen again since it started occurring at work where it never used to occur. All I want is to not have this problem anymore and have things go back to normal

Also since I am doing nursing, I have clinicals that i must attend and this problem managed to make its way to the hospitals where even the employees have commented saying that theres a "foul smell" and then my fellow classmates will whisper to each other that its me and that they feel bad for me. I don't smell anything yet others do and its killing me.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Also would like to know if anyone has had this problem before and if so if they were able to fix it and how

• Posted

I feel for you. Have you spoken to a doctor? One of my son's had this problem for a while. One of his work colleagues gave him a present of some new underpants, it was that bad. He would get in my car and I could smell 'poo'. In the end we discovered it was a fungal infection in his feet. Washing did not get rid of it. He needed some medication to clear it and then kept his feet and shoes aired, with fresh socks. Good luck. You will find a solution. Your GP will understand it is not to do with cleanliness.

• Posted

I haven't been able to speak to my doctor but I'm going to make an appointment with the school gynecologist to ask some questions pertaining to the smell to make sure its not just an infection. But thank you for sharing. I appreciate it

• Posted

Hi mon, i don't know some people need to learn to be kind not rude. You'll be socially feel isolated if their nastiness continues! If YOU and you only feel this isn't right then YOU see someone. If you're getting hot down there that could cause the smell? I am not a doctor so definitely can't say one way or another. Why don't you go see a female doctor and explain it to her. It could be something or nothing. I think people need to alter their attitude. I wish you luck.

• Posted

I agree that people need to learn to not be rude. But can't do much about it. Theres always gonna be rude people in the world. But yes i will go to a female doctor and a gynecologist about this as soon as i can. Thank you.

• Posted

Good luck with your appointment hope you're OK?

• Posted

How do you dry your clothes, on a radiator or tumble drier. The reason for asking is I worked with a guy who smelt of cat pee, but I knew that if was being caused by the way he dried his clothes in the winter on a radiator taking a couple of days, when he got warmer the smell got worse. Lots of uni kids my own included have the smell when they don't dry there clothes properly. Just a thought.

• Posted

Sometimes this problem in genetics. You can meet any good dermatologist for this.

• Posted

Hey, were you able to find out what the problem was and if so, how do you fix?

• Posted

Did you find out about the problem as I can totally relate and now not wanting to go out now because i dont know if my case its down to something in my body internally, and since becoming plant based as im scared emotionally and its affecting my wellbeing as i use to be social also. Only places im going to is my mums and now when im due to the doctors to hopefully see a dermatologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.