I don’t test low on B12 or pernicious anaemia, but need B12 shots to feel better - what does it mean

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am getting B12 shots done privately as my tests dont qualify to get any from my GPs.

My B12 tests have always come back fine over the years, but I have always taken B12 pills so i've never been able to have a true test done. Obviously the pills don't help me all that much, but just a little if I take it consistently.

My doctor had a test done for intrinisic factor when I told her I was getting private B12 shots done as she said it's a shame i'm paying for them & actually wanted to help me get them on the NHS if I qualified. The test came back negative though & she couldn't explain why I feel a difference from B12 shots.

I feel absolutely exhausted most of the time, have mind fog constantly & can't focus & when it gets really severe it's almost like i'm drifting in & out of consciousness from heavy exhaustion when I try to wake up.

Having a B12 shot makes me feel human within days & it is such a dramatic & unmistakeable difference in quality of life for me. What exactly is going on if i'm not testing low on B12 or have pernicious aneamia according to the tests?

I also have an underactive thyroid which is controlled with medication & seems to be stable these days.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

when you say your test comes back fine what was the result? If it was under 500 then push for the injections. Many other countries treat people when levels fall below 500.

Also I would get your Vit D levels and Iron checked as these also can have an impact on energy levels.

Good luck.

Deb

• Posted

I actually don’t know what the levels were when it was tested previous years, but this time it came back 2000 - but that was after I had started getting B12 shots! However, even at the time I tested at 2000 I was feeling absolutely exhausted.

I should have added I’ve always had vitamin D & iron tested as well & they’re fine, which is expected as I take both regularly. Vitamin D I take a high dose of as was recommended to improve nerve pain which it really make a difference about.

• Posted

B12 shots help with symptoms. medication can sometimes go to the root of the problem, other times it helps along the way. Its like Olanzapine, which seems to help all my mental health issues despite being promoted as helping hearing voices and seeing things. I think it really depends on the body health system. Its good if it helps, or it could be a case of wrong diagnosis on your doctors part. There could be something undetected. In any cases take your vitamins and drink plenty of fluids daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.