I don't think it's Plantar Fascitis, but correct me if I'm wrong

Posted , 3 users are following.

About a year and a half ago, I started experiencing pretty strong pain in the inner arches of the foot when I'd go running. It started out mild but if I kept running it would turn into full blown, sharp arch pain. It would prevent me from walking for at least a few days after. But then about a week later, walking was perfectly fine again.

I stayed away from running over the past year and only just started getting back into it. I took up swimming in January to March of 2018, and then have mostly been focused on biking since that time. Biking doesn't seem to exacerbate the pain at all.

Just in January of this year, I began running again and it was going pretty well. But then two weeks ago, the pain returned after running then going to a rock climbing gym. I recently changed rock climbing shoes and that is part of the problem I believe.

I just went and got X rays and talked with an orthopedic a week ago. Unfortunately, he told me he could see nothing from the x-rays. I'm at least glad the bones are ruled out, but it kind of leaves me with very little to go off of. The doctor didn't think it was plantar fasciitis from what I was describing. Plus, I've heard people talk about how PF will cause your feet to be sore in the morning, but as it warms up the pain goes away. For me it's the exact opposite. The longer I'm on my feet during the day, the worse it gets. And I've hear PF causes heel pain. My heels have been just fine.

Really the only thing that feels good when the pain is present is to keep weight off.

Here's are images of where it hurts:

Any suggestions or advice on this issue would great. Or if there's been other posts that match, let me know too.

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My PF started in the arch too. 6 years ago, when I tried running. Terrible idea. I didn't think it was PF because my heels were fine. It was painful in the morning, fine after that. Then it got worse and worse over the years. Had a couple rounds of physical therapy. Got better for a year. Then it exploded...both feet, all day long, felt like walking on legos and broken glass. So I've been getting steroid shots and oral steroid and heading towards likely surgery on one foot. The pain now is back to the arch in that same spot in your photo, stretching to the inside of the heel. Feels like flesh tearing from the heel bone with every step. Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to say the pain has evolved and changed along the way for me, not exactly textbook description of PF at times...but that's my diagnosis. Maybe you could get an MRI.

• Posted

where are u based? go and see a good podiatrist who does gait analysis and in shoe pressure measurrments ans get some insoles made. its not plantar fascitis

• Posted

well if it is plantar fascitis you will likely have very tight calves. a podiatrist will know. You can stretch calves best on an incline board and if that doesnt work have a gastrocnemius recession. But I stress, see a podiatrist for a diagnosis and probably insoles to redistribute weight

• Posted

I apologize for just now responding. These were being to my spam folder.

I considered the MRI. I might still get one but it just seems like it would be a hit to my bank account more than anything. But we'll see.

I've been using some superfeet insoles but I don't know that they made any difference. Sounds like a podiatrist might be able to offer some help on the matter.

I'm based in Mississippi. There's podiatrists around i believe. If not, there's a good hospital in Birmingham. But I'm working on establishing a good stretch routine to keep the arch muscles loose.

Thanks for your responses both of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.