I don't understand what's is going on with me....Hypothyrodism....

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a young 57 year old and I have just recently been diagnosed with under active thyroid.... I also have a lot of weakness and joint issues and my doctor just sent me for blood work, rheumatoid factor and c reactive plus some others.... he says rf is fine but c reactive is up some, as well my blood sugars are now elevated  and blood pressure is up....  this bothers me as I don't fully understand what is going on... I have had all kinds of ekg, ecg, cardiac blood work up , d dimmer tests done recently and everything came back normal.... all of this same blood work was normal last year in June and only because I was complaining all year about being so tired and not sleeping well etc, did doc realize that my thyroid had never been checked, which he did last fall and then rechecked in Feb and said that I need to be on meds....

.... ughhh and now this is all going on....  [sad]

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Get on the meds and in a few weeks see how you are feeling. I have been on thyroid meds for 22 years now. I’m 49 and all of a sudden my thyroid has gone wonky.  The past year I’ve changed meds from 1.25 down to 1.00 and now I’m on my way back up.   The symptoms I’ve had are really strange.  I can’t eat without it hurting my stomach, I’m tired (which is normal for thyroid) , nausea and I get leg pains.  This happened befor a year ago.  They fixed my meds and the symptoms subsided. 
  • Posted

The thyroid can affect many of the bodies functions, so you have to be aware that other things apparently going wrong with you at the same time may be due to the thyroid dysfunction. If these are not serious you should hold off treating them until the thyroid has been stabilized and they can be retested. This is particularly true of high cholesterol levels. I got caught by this one and had to deal with adverse effects from statin drugs until it was realized I really didn’t have high cholesterol at all, it was all due to my thyroid.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed at 54 and I consider myself also to be a young now 56 year old.

I have been on Eutirox for two years. It took around 18 months to settle down and I now feel human again and back to normal. 

It is good that you are being tested for as much as possible. My endocrinologist checks not only my thyroid levels regularly but all manner of things to make sure my body is working as it should. 

You need perseverance at first but my experience has been that improvement comes albeit slowly. 

My joints ached constantly and I felt I had no muscle power but this has now all improved. 

Good luck and I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thank you Lia, I truly hope it all levels out once the thyroid is controlled.... I started on meds in Feb and in May when I has re tested my meds had to be upped, doc asked if I was taking the pills every day and I said yes, so now we have to wait til August and see how they are then and hope the other things will level out too.

Thank you for your helo and good luck and hope things stay good for you....

• Posted

It just takes a little patience Sheila. I was started on 125mcg then went down to 100 now I am on 100 six days a week and 50 the seventh. 

I was also put on Vitamin D which I take once a month. 

Initially I had to take sellenium for three months but no longer need it. 

There are lots of scaremongering stories about the thyroxine but I have an excellent endocrinologist and I trust him to care for my health. 

As I said it takes time but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I now feel ‘young’ again and back to skipping and dancing around the house as I always used to. 

Let us know how you progress.  I am sure with determination you will get to where you want to be. 

• Edited

So are you on the thyroid meds? What dose? What was your TSH measurement from latest blood tests? What does your doctor say about your symptoms?
    • Posted

Yes I was put on Synthroid 50 mcg back in Feb, went for 3 month testing in May and he has to up the dose to 75 mcg, now I have to wait and go again in August to check levels... I ask my doctor and questions and he never really gives me direct answers, sometimes he tells me to look up on the internet... I am now on bp meds and I have to get blood sugars re tested in a couple months and if they are not down, then he says I will have to go on meds, it has gone up over the past 2 testings and my doc doesn't readily put me on meds, so he will check it several times, the bp was constantly staying at 140's over high 80s to mid 90s for some reason, so he chose to put me on a low dose of Adalat and I go back next week for 1 month follow up on that.... also he said my iron was showing a little on the low side and now the inflammatory which I guess is the c reative protein is up a little... I do have some inflammation on my heel as I tore my Achilles tendon last year and that is still causing issues as well as I have costochondritis apparently.... ughhhh so I don't understand or know what is going on.... all he is says is this elevated or up and never gives me any info or how high anything is, when I go in next week I am asking him to explain it all to me as I have so much anxiety over this.... I have asked him if the thyroid could be causing this upset in my body, but he says no while my pharmacist and some of my medical friends says it can be because a year ago everything was normal....

• Edited

Hi shileila,

I too just recently had tests done at the hospital because I was having severe knee pain and my crp was elevated also but so was my white blood cells. My thyroid levels were hypothyroid and my calcium is off also. I went to my pcp and he ran another test to check my crp since my knee was no longer hurting to see if it was still elevated and it was. I am now waiting to hear from him as to what he thinks it could be because my blood pressure is excellent and EKG and everything was good. Hashimotos is a form of inflammation and there are many things that can inflame your body besides the most terrible of them. Stress can cause inflammation as can a bacterial infection. I am in the same boat though just trying to figure out why I am having all these randoms aches and pain and I am only 39. I will let you know what my dr says when I find out so that you may be able to see if it matches how you are.

• Edited

Melissa, the weird stuff with pottassium, calcium and other salts can be caused by adrenal problems. 

Also, subacute pancreatitis, aka chronic pancreatitis can result in malnutrition and a myriad of gut problems.  Its worth looking into, as its related to liver and gallbladder functions which can become sluggish with thyroid dusease, particularly if  you have a history of low body temps. 

The synthetic meds can cause a lot if problems too. I recently read a post somewhere else where someone said they had no history of heart disease and had a heart attack after only a few days on levothyroxin, 50 mcg.

Hope you feel better.

• Edited

Hi Sheila, there are no guaranties the meds will work and it typically takes at least a year to get the dose right. For some people, the dose never stabilizes.

Thyroid medication is not an easy fix: it can have horrible and long term side effects and the synthetic meds don’t  work for a lot of people.  Then there’s the constant stress of getting blood tests and obsessing on meds. You’re captive to docs to get your prescriptions and docs want you to come for regular office visits in addition to the bloodwork.

Take some time and read through the many posts here on levothyroxin and hypothyroid disease to get a sense of the typical progression you deal with for thyroid disease. 

Also, thyroid disease can be linked with other problems. Your a1c is increasing, you say. You might look into chronic pancreatitis symptoms and nutritional deficiencies, as well as adrenal exhaustion and Addison’s disease, to see if they could be factors cobtributing to your thyroid disease. A simple magnesium deficiency can mimmick thyroid disease.

There’s a chance your thyroid disease was triggered by something else.

Meanwhile, a glutenfree Paleo style diet, good quality vitamin and mineral supplements snd a general cleaning up of your lifestyle along with cleansing the body  all can go a long way towards curbing thyroid disease. 

If, as you say, your labs were normal just last year, you have a good chance of reversing the disease. You may be able to save yourself from a lifetime of meds (and their side effects and general hassle) by taking time now to examine any changes to your life in the past year and your diet and exercise habits.

Good luck- hope you’re feeling better soon! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.