I dont know if I should take citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I was prescribed citalopram 20mg last week but im yet to take one. Im 31 and suffering from quite

bad anxiety and depression but im worried about taking medication and relying on it for many years to come. Im also worried about the side effects with what ive read and just overall very unsure what to do. I saw a therapist last week and will see her agsin this week but I know its going to be a lengthy process and want to try and get better quickly for the sake of my 2 little boys and very supportive husband. I dont know what to do, I've never been on any medication before so a little scared I guess. Any advice welcome thank you x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi gem

Please give the citalopram a go any side effects are short lived and last 2 weeks at the mo I had side effects such as nausea that lasted a couple of days then on and off for a week nothing major it did increase anxiety at first and I had episodes of anxiety where I wouldnt usually but they did pass and I had beta blockers to help of I needed them. and I took the tabs in morning with food and still do as I was already having problems sleeping I was also experiencing nausea cuz of my anxiety anyway and I was relying on almost addicted to anti sickness pills. Since week 3 of citalopram I havent had one anti sickness pill and im on week 7 now ... my mood is better I have more good days than bad days and the bad days arent so bad and im sleeping a lot better now im calmer and find it easier to laugh and smile now. I was petrified of taking meds as I thought theyd just make me worse and being emetophobic I was scared of being sick I was ready to give up on week 2 but the people on here helped me through and im so glad I stuck with the citalopram please please try it youve got nothing to lose and everything to gain smile xx

• Posted

P.s im only on 10mg ... if you really are worried start off on halving the tablets for a week so you start at 10mg then go up to 20mg ask your dr about this but this is usually what they suggest to limit side effects at the start but ccitalopram is one of the best tolerated ssris out there
  • Posted

Hi Natasha, thank you for your reply. I have read several times about starting on 10mg so I think I will discuss with my gp before I do anything. Thanks again x
  • Posted

No problem

Wishing you the best of luck x

• Posted

All I'd say is speak to your doctor about your options. My experience is its easy to take them but hard to stop.

They do what you need.

• Posted

That's what I'm afraid of. Thank you for your comments x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.