I dont think CBT is going to work for me :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so I've just been reading through what CBT is and i really don't think its going to work for me because i know my fear is going to happen whether i want it too or not and its really starting to get on top of me.

I'm scared of dying so i cant see a positive way of thinking about it, I'm sorry i just can't. This is why i don't think going to CBT is going to help, all these questions like 'do you think this fear is rational?' and 'is this fear going to actually happen?'.......well YES IT IS, so wtf do i do now?

sorry for the rant but just reading through what CBT is has made me feel quite hopeless in the matter. Sorry.

Danielle

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey, at least if you try it you can cross it from your list of things you have tried to make you happy and relieve your fear a little. It may work. They will teach you techniques to help with your negative thoughts on your fear xx

• Posted

But I, myself cant see a positive way of thinking about it and I've been suffering with panic attacks for the past 8 years over the same thing. And what am i supposed to feel positive about it anyway? Can you see where I'm coming from?

Danielle

• Posted

Hi Danielle, I completely get where your coming from. I have the same fear as you.
  • Posted

CBT doesn't just identify and find reason in your thoughts, it retrains your thoughts. If you give it a go, at least you've tried. I was sceptical at first, but it helps, especially with someone there supporting you the whole way. I had/have a fear of being ill, I have a severely debilitating chronic disease, so me being ill is inevitable too . Perhaps you should try hypnotherapy.
  • Posted

Hi Danielle,

Hope you don't mind my comments.

In the past I've undergone 2 periods of CBT each lasting about a year.

The first thing is, there's someone actually there listening. And prompting. That in itself can be very reassuring.

My main benefit from CBT was finding parts of me I'd forgotten, lost, supressed. You may realise your beliefs are based on past events which at the time you dealt with in the best way you knew how. This is all stored in your subconscious and influences your decisions and reactions now. Often past events are buried because they are uncomfortable in some way.

Due to my upbringing I had to deal with a lot that was just normal to me then. That's the kind of foundation that underline who you are. You may discover through CBT that some things that influence your mind from within could be a lot different looked at from a different perspective.

I honestly believe everyone would gain useful profound insight into their character and the world around them. It's a journey of discovery into YOU.

In that way some problems just melt away.

It may not make things perfect, but you will know a lot more about who you are, and hopefully be a richer person.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks everyone, I honestly feel a little bit more positive about the CBT now, still sceptical, but I'm sure I'll make my mind up when i actually see what it is. I think its my mind, subconscious, or whatever, setting me up to fail because of my scepticism.

I will try it, just need to get these nagging doubts out of my head first.

Thanks again

Danielle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.