I feel I’m being OVER medicated... Please, I need feedback.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am on Fluoxetine (Prozac) 20 mgs/ day, Buspirone (Buspar) 15mgs three times a day, Lamotrigine 100 mgs/day, & now switching from Clonazepam (Klonopin) 2mgs/day to Lorazepam (Ativan) 2 mgs/day.

This is the 2nd time in my life I’ve been on Fluoxetine and Lorazepam.

i am trying to wean off of Clonazepam to transition to Lorazepam but is that even necessary?The reason for the transition???

Because I need a more fast acting Anxiety reliever during this CrAzY time we’re in with the Covid-19 virus going on. But my intent is to eventually wean off the Lorazepam once I can figure out how to get this anxiety under control.

AND my long long term goal is to eventually get off all these medications But i know that has to be done slower than molasses!

The reason for my thoughts that I’m being overly medicated us because ONE... I’m not feeling better. I’m severely depressed most days with having occasional suicidal thoughts. My anxiety is still an issue I can’t get under control with Meds nor counseling. And then to top it off , I also have Chronic pain ( from a bad fall i took 4 years ago ).Rheumatologist diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia which is a big possibility, But I’m even starting to wonder if ALL these Meds are part if the culprit of my muscular and possible nerve pain? And perhaps these meds are actually making my depression and Anxiety worse. Help! Any feedback or personal simiiar experiences would Be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi rachel, that sounds like a lot anyway, check out whether both these medicines should be given together, for how long you need to take them for before you're reviewed, whether something else will suit you better and whether you can have something else. medication has to be reviewed and if your doctor's aren't i"d be seeing the practice manager. good luck, it's sounds like you have a lot to cope with....

• Posted

Hi Sam. I agree that it sounds like a lot of meds to be on. Doctor wanted me to cut off Clonazepam right away with no tapering and start the Lorazepam immediately.

I personally don't feel comfortable just stopping a med I've been on for nearly a year.

So, I'm stuck and asking anyone who may have had similar experience or feedback, as it is a lot to deal with. If anyone has any knowledge about benzos (specifically Clonazepam & Lorazepam), I welcome your help. Thank u

• Edited

Dear Rachel

Your medications seem to be rather a lot,for diagnosis.If i were you,i would go back to your prescriber/doctor,and see if it would be possible to reduce the dosage.

I ,myself,have no medical knowledge,but have suffered for many years(now 3 years in

remission).

2 other things ,i, would suggest. Lorazepam is highly addictive and should only be used

short term,It took me about a year to get off them.

If you are experiencing muscle pains and sensations ,this is most likely a combination of

stress,and tablets.

You must use an experienced professional ,otherwise you are wasting your time.It may

not work immediately,but persevere,it helped me and only need one a month.

I really hope this helps you in some way.

Best wishes, Richard

p.s if you need any advice please do not hesitate and email me.

(

• Posted

Hi Richard

Thank you for responding. I too agree I'm on too many psych meds which are probably messing my brain up.

I am aware that Lorazepam and all benzos are highly addictive and unfortunately every provider I've had for the past 7 years dishes them out like they are candy. And aside from the Lamotrigine, I've been on all the other meds I listed for just as long. So my body is now reacting when I try to wean off Clonazepam, which I was doing but had to go back up. I believe you’re right ... I’m definitely wasting my time if Im not seeing an experienced professional. The provider I’m seeing is only a Nurse Practitioner (NOT a doctor/MD) so it May Be time to find someone who has more qualifications.

Thank you for your advice and time.

~Rachel

• Posted

Hi Rachel, All of those meds are used very commonly for anxiety and depression, etc... they do take time to work, some side effects go away after you take them awhile, if you think its too much medication, you should ask your DR to explain his reasoning & the dosages...the Clonazepam is a Benzodiazepine, so is the Lorazepam, he can switch you over as they are the same type of med, w/o tapering...he has dosage guidelines to be sure the two doses are similar... one may also last longer than the other, one may work faster but, people are changed from one Benzo to another all the time...it is best to work on your anxiety so you can not depend on these for long term, as they are addictive...good plan, sounds like you're working things out, taking control can help you feel better...Good Luck & talk to the DR about your concerns...BEST WISHES💒🎶♾🌈🐾😊🍀☮

• Edited

Hello there, Thank you for responding.

I am aware that these meds are for Anxiety, depression, & mood disorder. And aside from the Lamotrigine, Ive been on most of these of and in for about 7 years. Lorazepam and all benzos are highly addictive and unfortunately every provider I've had for the past 7 years dishes them out like they are candy. So now that I was trying to switch from Clonazepam to Lorazepam, my body is reacting and giving me withdrawal symptoms (especially depression and thoughts of suicide) So I had to stop weaning and now I feel better today But I’m testing the waters Fire at least a week. When I asked The provider I’m seeing if he thought I was on too many Meds, he just kind of chuckled and said "No. What you’re on is nothing compared to other patients I see." I was shocked!!! 

This provider is only a Nurse Practitioner (NOT a doctor/MD) so it May Be time to find someone who has more qualifications.

Thank you for your advice and time.

~Rachel

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I apologize if it seemed I was "explaining" too much about your meds but, I have seen people on anti-depressants, that didn't know what they were & some who didn't know Benzos were addictive, so I try to make sure people understand what they're getting themselves into, at the bare minimum...after 7 years you probably know most EVERYTHING...I am so sorry that it seems they want to keep giving you more and more meds, esp. if they don't seem to be helping or making you feel just overly drugged. I find it disturbing that any medical professional compares your meds to other patients meds as a reason to keep prescribing, medication s/b given to patients on a case by case basis & if your NP isnt interested in listening to YOUR healthcare plans, you need a DR(or at least a new NP)....Hopefully once you have another consult, you will have a pro onboard to help you, its probably the best thing for you, do you have a counsellor to consult(at least to help until you get a better DR)? A DR that is more experienced in depression/anxiety & the meds you're using(best case scenario)...a word of caution, be careful when tapering off these meds...why its SO important to have help!! Good Luck, I hope you get help to feel better, don't give up...you'll get there...chat me up anytime...BEST WISHES💒🎶♾🌈🐾🍀☮

• Posted

Very legit thoughts on this subject. I know for a fact that my bipolar mood stabilizer I cant take more than 25 mg. of because it reactivates an old joint injury in my ankles.

I dont know how much my antidepressant and anxiety meds are contributing to the joint and tendon pain I have. I'm a senior so have assumed the pain is from being old. But I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.