I feel I've completed a marathon

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all . I feel I have achieved a huge step . I pick up my Nalmefene tomorrow from the chemist . With the help from my local centre and kind understanding from my doctor , at last I have been given the chance to try it . A few weeks ago I printed out all the info including the NHS pathway and guidelines needed for the medication. I gave this to my doctor to look at and she was really pleased as she was unaware of this completely . 

?I had to attend group sessions at the centre . Good for some people but were not for me. I just couldn't fit in and felt so depressed on leaving . I mentioned this to my key worker and although she was trying to encourage me to attend I put my foot down and we have agreed a one to one session once a week. As this is my life and my body I needed to feel in control and I said this to her . She's been very supportive and she too is very interested in how I will get on as too has not much knowledge of the Sinclair method . I really hope this works for me , well my mission is to make it work !!! I've tried everything else and relapsed every single time so fingers crossed that reduction using this method will be of great help , plus using all the previous tools I have gathered over the years all put together I have a good chance

Anyway, I wanted to thank Joanna from the C3 Foundation . If you are reading you've been an amazing support and I will let you know how I do 

Also, if anyone has any advice please do tell 

?When in the chemist today , they said they had to order it and looked it up and said omg that's why its not in stock. Apparently it costs the NHS £76 for 14 pills !!. I'm not sure what medication costs for most other drugs but they seemed shocked at the price and thought how lucky I was . I'm so happy , although we shouldn't have to work so hard for something that may decrease other future NHS costs due to over drinking . 

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Rainbow.  Your words mean everything to me.  Yes, it is expensive, and ironically naltrexone costs the NHS about £30 for 28 pills!!  That is something that you could mention in a future appointment perhaps and it might help you get switched to naltrexone if you find that you are not adjusting to nalmefene too well.  Everyone is different so it's a case of seeing how you get along over the coming few weeks.

Anyway, before you begin, please go to the C3 Foundation Europe website and then to the 'services' page.  On there you will find a hints and tips page that explains exactly how to begin.  Please do follow this to the letter, especially the part about eating a good meal first and keeping drinking water throughout the time and before you go to bed.  All the information on there will help you feel confident.

I do 'buddy' people when they begin, if they wish.  So, if you wanted to skype as you take the first drink or two on the tablets, please do let me know so we can arrange a time to do that.

Finally, good luck!

)

(PS. Isn't it sad that so many people are missing out on valuable help because their doctors aren't aware of this treatment being out there?)

• Posted

Gold star awarded both to Joanna and rainbow 😄😄

Joanna for all her help and support and knowledge. Rainbow for knowing what she wants and having the courage to ensure she gets it. Well done you two.

Yes, it’s very sad that the very people who should have the knowledge to help and support AUD sufferers, actually have very little knowledge of TSM and campral, or dismiss it as American mumbo jumbo (my gp at the time said that to me)

• Posted

I feel rather overwhelmed by your love and respect. Thank you so much smile It means so much to have your support today . I've gone so so so many years trying years of different approaches , groups , social media , meditation etc . Thanks to all of you for giving me the understanding and respect for knowing whats right for me now .... xx

• Posted

Hi Rainbow,

I am so happy for you! I am sure you have some sense of relief to finally get the meds. I gave up last year due to the difficulty in getting them. The price is shocking!

I really hope the meds work for you & keep us updated.  

Hugs xx

• Posted

I'd like them to figure out what the cost has been of not making the meds readily and widely available. They would probably find that far, far more shocking. 

I'd like to see test strips at pubs that people could breath on and if the BAC was beyond a certain point, it would reveal a QR code they could scan for an appointment to get assessed for Selincro or Naltrexone that very week. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.