I feel like I have lost myself. What should I do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been depressed for the last three months. My pet dog died and he was my best companion that I ever had. Life is not the same without him. I feel lost and empty. I can't concentrate on anything. My heart is still heavy. How can I overcome this loss? Somebody please help me!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi Kenneth, bless you! what happened to your dog? i am genuinely trying to find out not being rude! i am sure you did your best for your dog when it was alive! take 1 day at a time to get out and about if you can and are one of the people in an area allowed to go out! think about another dog and getting one, not to replace the one you want but to help you feel ok. look after yourself. x

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your kind response. My dog Bruno died by hitting a car. If it was a normal death, I would be able to console myself. But this was too much for me. This too shall pass.

• Posted

this wasn't your fault! i feel for you, your poor dog! look after yourself day by day. i don't know how old your dog was but you gave him a decent life i am sure. you can have support for this, off a bereavement counsellor maybe?

• Posted

Thank you so much for your suggestion. Bruno was three years old, and now I have lost, whom I cared for and loved for three years. Anyway, I will see a counselor as soon as possible as per your suggestion. Once again, thank you for your kind response and for comforting me.

• Posted

Nothing ever really dies. When someone you love dies, they'll still live on, just in a different form. You have those really fond memories of your dog left so in way your pet dog still lives on as a memory. I'm sorry if it's not the best advice.

• Posted

Hi Kenneth!

Firstly, I am sorry to hear about your dogs passing.. They really are a persons best friend.

As for getting over a death, You have to experience the 5 steps of grief (This usually doesn't have a timescale on how quick it'll happen)

Time is a healer!

All the best

TruckerM

• Posted

You grieve a pet the same way you grieve a person because the grief is simply a sign that there was great love between you, trust, and many memories. When I had to put my cat to sleep, they gave me a tuft of her hair, a paw print, and forget me not seeds to plant. I put them all on her unique window sill, where she would sit and wait for me to come home from work. A friend added a spray of pussy willows. That helped me get through for a while. Then there was a long period of aching. But now, I talk about her whenever I can. That keeps her memory fresh. I will get another kitty someday when I can again settle down in one place.

You will find particular things that keep your dog close to your heart. And the grieving will take its own time and rhythm. Emptiness is a part of grief, and sorrow, and shock and weariness. And you will know when your grief has run its course when you still miss your best friend, but you are not wrestling with sweeping emotions or hollow loss. I send you my sincere condolences; know that many have passed this way before you.

• Posted

You overcome the loss by getting yourself another pet. Sadly pets die alot faster than humans do.

• Posted

You overcome the loss by getting yourself another pet. Sadly pets die alot faster than humans do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.