I feel like I'm going crazy and it's ruining my relationship

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have been feeling very anxious for no reason recently. My heart is racing and I'm having palpitations, I feel so confused and have been struggling making decisions, this causes me to feel depressed, my mood swings are awful, things bother me more than they used to and i've been horrible and snappy with my poor boyfriend, i kind of feel like i need him with me all the time and want him to cheer me up. It's going to ruin our relationship.

My doctor has said I may have overactive thyroid so i've got to go for a bloods test at the hospital. If I have will the medication for it make me stop feeling like this coz I can't cope with it anymore. I feel like i'm going mad. I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings, although i'm wide awake. I'm OK when I'm busy it's when I'm sat still or need to write up notes at work and need to concentrate.

Does anyone take anti depressants along side their medication? My doctor has prescribed me Citalopram but that was before he suggested i may have an overactive thyroid so i'm holding off taking them til i find out.

Any advice would be appreciated...or even if anyone else has felt the same?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am exactly the same as you. I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid 12 weeks ago and now have acute anxiety as you described as well.

I am on carbimazole and citalopram. The citalopram hasn't fully kicked in yet. I started it 2 weeks ago.

When you start taking it you might need a lot of support as the side effects can mean that you want to spend a lot of time lying quietly.

All the best

Linda

• Posted

You should both be aware that GP's are all too quick to hand out anti- ds

when in fact all you really need is for your thyroid problem to be treated.

Once you are stable on meds the symptoms will go. Also check that the anti-ds you have mix ok with thyroid meds as some don't.

It does take many months before thryoid meds will make you feel better and with hyper there is always the risk of relapse even if you do go into remission.

• Posted

Just been to the endo. He has reduced my thyroid meds (10mg) and says my bloods are looking fairly normal. This is after 3-4 months treatment.

He thinks my terrible tiredness and acute anxiety are due to the experiences of thyroidism that I have had rather than directly caused by the gland itself. He is happy to let the GP treat this with anti ds and CBT. He thinks that this will bring my body back into harmony. Go back to see him in 2 months.

Hope other folks are seeing an improvement in themselves

best wishes

Linda

• Posted

Hi All, I was initially put on anti ds but, my endo soon took me off them as, he said the low mood is down to thyroid & that once my thyroid is under control those feelings will go & guess what? they did!!!!!! its funny how endos from different areas treat us all so differently. Hope you all start to feel better soon but, like guest says this can be a long road but, hang in there it will & does get better. Take care. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi all

Cha have you had your results yet? Hopefully you are on the right medication now?

I was diagnosed back in April and have yet have not ever been stable, I have either been over or underactive. Once my levels are in a normal range, how long will it take for my body to catch up? Or is that like asking how long a piece of string is?

My endo said it will be almost immediate?!

Thanks

I hope you are all ok

Els

• Posted

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I had my blood text yesterday so will get my results Friday the latest. I haven't taken the anti-depressants yet, going to wait to see what my results say first.

I went swimming today...first bit of exercise I've done since feeling like this. I was only swimming gently but I noticed that my heart beat was so fast. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry I can't be much help to anyone else...i don't even know if i've got an overactive thyroid yet..but from what I'm hearing from everyone else it sounds as tho I do.

xx

• Posted

Hi! My heart used to thump away when I was in bed, and the more I worried about it the worse it got. I'm on beta blockers, and they've slowed my heart down.

I think you're doing right not to take the anti-depressants until you get your blood results back. I felt very anxious and depressed before I started the thyroid treatment, but I feel much better now.. You're bound to feel depressed if you're feeling ill, and an overactive thyroid does make you feel anxious.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

Marigold.

• Posted

the problem is the thyroid, fix that n everything will fall into line, same for me and others
  • Posted

hi i have just joined as i have felt as though i have been lossin my mind for three months now..i dont sleep and i am so anxious and i have lost 30lbs.  my mum developed breast cancer yong but she struggled on for 20 years and i was put on prohibitors and pre chemo as a precaution then also borderlinne diabetic..then a nurse happened to check my resultts again and im text book over active (my mum abd nana were uneractive!), they looking at immediate treatmet im 34 i just had to knnw i wasnt crazy! (my keyboard is sticky sorry!!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.