I feel like there's a brick wall in my head stopping me from doing anything

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I do the even know if I'm depressed, I just know something isn't right. I can't seem to get anything done. It's like there's a brick wall in my had that just stops me understanding what people are saying. They're talking to me, but I'm in another place. Or I'm sitting at my desk looking at the work I have to do but just not doing it. It's not easy work, but it is stuff I can do, I just don't. And then I feel rubbish and stressed because I'm not doing what I should be.

Does anyone else get this? Any useful tips?

Thanks.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Like your stuck in fog? Can't think or focus can't follow conversation because ur stuck in ur mind?
    • Posted

Yes, just like that. I sit in meetings thinking 'I must listen, I must listen' and then realise I've been listening to myself but have no idea what anyone else has said!
    • Posted

I'm like this its not nice. U feel detached? Anxiety and depression could be like or the other but they go hand on hand. Try not to worry too much and don't fight it but ignore it if u accept it the anxiety will ease x
    • Posted

Yeah, it's like everyone else is managing to function normally in the world around me and I'm just stuck. I think you're right about anxiety, but it's been going on for a while now and is going to start affecting my work and friendships. It seems so easy to think I can just snap out of it, but I still haven't! I'm meant to be meeting friends tonight but I really do think want to. Part of me thinks that I can just have a nice quiet evening at home, but then I wonder if I would be better going and trying to get myself out of this low point.
    • Posted

I know !!! Ur best going although u feel crap u have to carry on. See her doctor too! Mine is caused by pregnancy and post birth but it's been like it 9month's now. Gets to a point that u just have to carry on and hope it goes away but u need help and meds maybe although meds are not helping me too much but it does stop a total melt down
    • Posted

I guess pregnancy and having a baby is such a massive change for the body that it takes a while to get over.  I have been through a similar low patch before and was given meds and CBT.  Being on the meds freaked me out - not the meds themselves, just the fact that I needed them.  I want to avoid that again if I can.  Maybe I should try and go back over some of my CBT stuff, but I'm not 100% sure that really fixed it either.  Maybe I'll jsut go and have a chat with the doctor and see what happens.  I've just moved so no idea what the doctors here are like.  Talking about it has helped though, so thanks for that.
  • Posted

Get started. Action comes first and motivation comes later. Andy (See film Shaw Shank Redemption) makes his way through the wall with that rock hammer, he doesn't sit there waiting for the sledgehammer. He makes a decision to take action to improve his life. Read 'Feel The Fear and Do it Anyway' by Susan Jeffers cover to cover. Exercise, lift weights, run better to do cardiovascular and dont berate yourself for mistakes. My advice to you is get started!
    • Posted

I can't argue with that. I've just started getting into the gym and keeping fit. It's about the only thing that's keeping me sane. My friends don't get it and aren't very supportive, but it's good to feel I'm in control of something and doing it for me, with or without their support.
  • Posted

I struggle with this too. This is the bane of my existence. No one understands it so I find myself not being able to speak to anyone about it and rather search online to find answers/help.

I many times just conclude that I am just very lazy and that is why I cannot complete tasks I know I can do. My inabilty to complete daily tasks are holding back my life. It literally feels like there is a wall stopping me from being productive. Everyday I tell myself I'm just going to do it! But as soon as I sit down to start I am overcome with guilt and sadness about all the overdue work on my list and everyday I just continue to add to it. I am such an academic and visionary I know what I need to do to get where I want in life but I haven't yet been able to get out of my web of overwhelm. This issue has created great depression and anxiety for me. My heart literally races when I think my boss is walking towards my office. I am tired of mentally breaking down and not being able to figure out how to get past this.

• Edited

Hi,

I realize this thread is old but when I read what you had said it was like I wrote it. It's like there is a giant wall that I can not seem to get around. Even down to the working out because it is something that I feel like I have control. I was wondering if you were able to figure anything out that helps. Thank you

• Posted

i am going through the same thing as almost everyone on this

but i have got a temporary fix

i am still in need of help

what i do is condition my mind to carry out my tasks effortlessly

I lie to myself that they are as easy as watching an episode of my best serie

but sometimes its stronger than me

• Posted

This is why you feel there is a problem in communicating because of your personal insecurities. If you deal with the insecurities then communication with others will be better, or if you choose to solve the communication issue then the insecurities will not be so bad, and eventually they will fade away into the night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.