and have to lie down often . Should I start again at 20 and put up with

the flu like symptoms, the spaced out feelings, headache, funny

Hands, blisters in my mouth and higher blood pressure BUT get rid of the pains

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi May,

I wish I didn't, but I know exactly how you feel. It's awful.

The hardest thing is coming to terms with the fact that you can't just take the pills and it all gets better. It doesn't. This is a long term, chronic illness. One that nobody has heard of, that you can't see, and you feel like a whinger all the time.

My only advice is to wrap yourself up and feel sorry for yourself for a while. It's ok to do that.

Then, when you are bored with that, you'll probably feel angry, then you'll start coming to terms with everything. By then, the drugs will have you feeling a bit better, you'll understand your new body/life a bit better and you'll find new ways of doing things.

Until then, you can tell us how you are feeling - we will always listen and offer support. XXX

• Posted

That is really good advice. I didn't ever feel angry just frustrated. I did exactly as you suggest and felt guilty at the time but it has paid dividends. I paced myself and although I helped look after grandchildren etc I let housework lapse a bit and did  the minimum necessary. I took stress out of my life as much as possible. I know that's not the case for everyone and I am retired which helps. I am a year down the line on steroids and I am finally feeling more normal whatever that is. I have managed to do gardening without any extra pain .....just minimal muscle pain which I would expect. I can plan more and not think if I will be able. I realise that it may come back but if it does I shall hang on to the fact that it is improving. I am reducing to 8.5 at present.
    • Posted

Thank you you have made me feel better. People I know who do

not understand this illness expect me to take the steroids and be

as I used to be. May

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.