I Feel that I was Violated by a Doctor

Posted , 9 users are following.

Sorry if this is out of place on the 'Depression' board but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I work full-time as a model and was recently accepted by a high profile UK modelling agency. A few weeks ago, myself and a few of the other girls at my agency were hired by a company for a big shoot on location abroad. It was a 7 day trip and everything was paid for, including travel insurance, but we had to pass a mandatory physical before being cleared to go. I wasn’t bothered and I certainly wasn’t going to miss out on this opportunity just because of an inconvenience.

So I went to the doctor’s office that the insurance company had picked. Most of the appointment was fine, just the usual health questions, took my blood pressure, checked my ears, nose & throat etc. Then he asked me to take my top off, so he could check my heart and lungs. I was expecting this, so I didn’t hesitate.

But before he started, he told me to take my bra off as well. I was a little surprised since I didn’t think that was necessary. When I asked why, he said he would need to place the stethoscope under my left breast for a hearing at the apex. I felt uncomfortable but what he said sounded okay so I did it. First he put the scope above my heart and listened. I was already feeling a little weird when he then lifted my left breast with his hand and placed the scope below it. He didn’t even ask my permission to touch me! I was really nervous so my heart was racing, and I knew he could hear it, which felt quite embarrassing. Then he checked my lungs from the back and placed his hand on my shoulder while he listened, which felt a little weird as well. I didn’t like the amount of times he tried to make eye-contact either.

The worst part came next. He told me to raise my arm so he could give me a clinical breast exam. I was pretty shocked since I hadn’t raised any such concerns. I said that I hadn’t noticed anything unusual in that area but he said, in no uncertain terms, that it was compulsory for the physical. He then examined both my breasts – WITHOUT gloves on. I must have been topless for almost 10 minutes in total before he let me put my clothes back on and finished the appointment.

I know this may sound like I’m overreacting, but I genuinely felt violated. When I asked some of the other girls about their physical, they all said their doctors (different to my one) listened to their heart with their bra on and didn’t perform a breast exam. Don’t mean to sound egotistical but I can’t help but think that the fact I’m an attractive young woman played a role in what he made me do. I’m used to being scantily clad for my job (I’ve got over 25,000 twitter followers through my modelling) but I think he took advantage of me, knowing I needed him to pass me on the physical. It was probably the most humiliating experience of my life. I just felt so powerless.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation before? Is it worth filing a complaint?

Thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If you feel that you were mauled by this Doctor then you were mauled by this Doctor but proving that certain aspects of this mauling were inappropriate is another matter, this person seems to have been very careful to leave room for reasonable doubt. Maybe in future you (or any Doctor) should arrange for a suitable chaperone to be present smile
  • Posted

And you haven't reported this man YET??? Or talked with his supervisor YET ??? I don't know where you are but here in America it is the Law to have a woman nurse at the Dr's side and yours for appointments like that. Especially for procedures when the clothes come off. It's for everyone's protection. My god, I can only imagine what was going through your mind as he's doing all this. I am sorry but report him. If he's doing it to you, he's doing it to others.
    • Posted

Hello i dont know what to do today i was given a papvsmear by a male doctor and no nurse i felt violated oh my im deppressed n crying i called n told the head manager n tgey said they will call me back what can i do i live in houston tx and the nurse said she was sorry and he should have waitted on her im distrout
  • Posted

I would be concerned if it was my daughter. A nurse should have been present and I would make a complaint about this. This could happen to someone else and I do not think that it is correct conduct. My family are in the medical world and I wouldn't be happy if any of them acted in this way. I would get advice on what to do about this. All the best.
  • Posted

I was recently violated in a similar manner by my OBGYN I was devistated with what took place so I reported him to the Texas Medical Board with proof and they dismissed my case !!!!! I actually went back in to the office to confront him for lifting up my bra and touching me saying perverted things to me he apologized i got him on recording so I submited it and they totally dismissed everthing !!! I literally just got the call today needless to say I have been in tears and not to mention he did it to another girl she reported him as well and he got away with it !!!!!!!!! 
  • Posted

Maybe you were mistaken?? Normally a male dr would have a female present, you have said your a model are you sure you dont think more of yourself than you are and werent reading into things I imagine you can only report it and see what comes of it

I guess its not unheard of although I think id of confronted the issue at the time maybe because you got this offer you thiught you must be gorgeous and therefore everyine wanted you ? Why did you not say why, when he asked to remove your bra my dr listens to my chest and heart by puttin his hand up my top

• Posted

You should not have had this experience.

Yes, report it. You may save someone more vulnerable from something worse than you experienced.

• Posted

Hi  There

What a horrible and embarressing experience you had. You must have  felt under pressure to comply with this practitioner's request because of your pending exciting trip..  

I think that the expectations to undergo physical examinations for these purposes are largeley underestimated.  There does not seem to be much importance placed on the right to request a female practitioner for these examinations.  

It seems to be just taken for granted that women will 'just do as they are told and 'so what' if they are exposed to a strange man'. There is a question  of dignity here.

I think this person violated your dignity.  Having a female chaperone present does not make this OK either. This is  because a male is  still seeing and feeling you.....This was not an emergency situation and neither was there a specific intimate concern.

In cases such as these, I think women ought to;

1. request what is required prior to the examinations i.e will bra removal be necessary?  Is a breast exaination necessary?  If so, I think women should request a female doctor or seek alternative centres.

2.refuse to remove your bra and make another appointment.

No one should feel that they have to be coerced into this degrading and humiliation treatment.

I don't know if this person was just being grossly insensitive and unprofessional.    I think, the fact that you felt violated suggests that his conduct was improper. 

I certainly  think that you should have your say.   Perhaps write a letter to the company.  This might make you feel more empowered, perhaps.

Goog luck

• Posted

He's a dirty pervert! Report him, disgusting man!

• Posted

WTAF..............whether you're a model or not or have a zillion twitter followers (which we didn't need to know, a bit like the rest of your post) he'd have done it. A pervert is a pervert. Ask your own gp what he thinks.

• Posted

Yes, me too. Found a lump in my armpit, deep down an the size if a leave. After 3 days worrying I phoned surgery and was offered an appointment 6 weeks in advance. Was given an option to sit in surgery until a dr was available. 2 hours later was seen by a hulking great bloke who asked me if I shaved. Yes I said, with what he asked, a razor I replied. He asked if he could examine me, I consented. He sent for a female who was the receptionist. He spent 10 minutes feeling my breasts, then told me to sit up, and he spent another 10 minutes feeling my breasts. The receptionist kept her eyes averted. In the end he prescribed an antibiotic cream. For a deep lump with no outward indication? Was thus right. The lump went on its own thank god, but I felt dirty, violated and sick to my stomach. I want home and scrubbed myself in the shower. I will never forget that humiliation, ever!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.