I feel the hard ware in my knee all the time

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 7wks TKR I'm coming along therapy mon tue wed I had no idea that I would feel the implant all the time. I'm now walking with the cane, driving doing a lot of things I couldn't do before. When I lay on my back my surgery leg lt rolls to the left when I'm aware of it I bring it back into place. But when I try to lay on either my lt side or right side I can feel the implant at a strange angle. Once I roll on my back the implant after a while seems to readjust itself. It seems as though the implant tells me what it can n can not do lol. Has anyone experience this? Can anyone feel the implant all the time?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bebe I'm 8 weeks post tkr and yes I can feel my implant. Mentioned this to my consultant at 6 week check up and he said he would be surprised if I couldn't feel it but that eventually once everything has healed and settled down, this usually takes up to a year, I shouldn't be able to feel it but it feels very strange at the moment! 😉
  • Posted

Oh good my knee rolls to the left as well ! Thought I was unique ...

Yes I am very aware of knee feels like a lead bandage still as I am only week 9 post op am hoping it will all be OK in the end.

The one thing I do find weird is when u do straight leg lifts and my knee muscle tightens yuk

• Posted

Thanks thought I was crazy lol. Glad to hear that this will eventually go away n or get better. My physical therapist says the knee will stop rolling or turning out ward the stronger the knee becomes. R u walking without any aid at this point?
    • Posted

I use a stick when I am out - I use it as protection against other people they give you a bit more space and hold doors open (sometimes).

At home no I get around fine albeit slowly and avoiding dog who insists that I can't cope withou her or her toys

• Posted

Similar. . certainy the leg will fall to the side if I allow it, and I often use a pillow to avoid that.  My physio said it was weakness in the muscles. . Also when I try to lie on my side, the leg feels incredibly heavy, although I imagine the weight is pretty much the same. . .At 13 weeks, I still need a pillow between my legs when lying on my side. . . 
  • Posted

Hi Bebe.  I am 16 weeks post TKR.  I am able to do most everything, some even better than before.  My knee still feels heavy and it still hurts.  Sometimes still have trouble going up and down stairs.  Now my other knee is swelling - I think it was taking up the slack until I got this knee fixed and now it's jealous and wants it's fair aount of attention.  I have been working in the garden, doing all the housework and laundry, have been kneeling on the kitchen and bathroom floors to clean since about 6 weeks out.  My partner keeps telling me I'm doing too much but I just don't want to only sit still.
    • Posted

Hi Yorkyrebel your partner is right your knee is still healing from 3-12 months so be careful. Yeah I need my rt knee done so I feel it being a bit jealous as well lol. Thanks for advice
  • Posted

Hi Bebe.

Your new knee weighs about 0.45 of a kilo which is about twice what was taken out ( so we are all about a quarter of a kilo heavier). My surgeon said in a very short time a patient wouldn't notice the diference. Also the leg can be up to 12mm longer or shorter and at a slightly differrent angle and the body compensates in a very short period. Over time they have designed all sorts of alignment equipment that generally means a very good outcome from this operation. 

• Posted

I always thought it felt a lot heavier, especially when I tri to lift it laterally . . .good to know it actually IS heavier, not just weak muscles!
    • Posted

Absolutely fascinating information Paul so many thanks.  Like Matinarvelo I too notice my operated leg feels heavier when moving it laterally.  Intended asking about weights etc when saw my surgeon last time but had a "senior moment" and forgot!!!!  Thanks again.
    • Posted

Thank you Paul for that info.  When I saw my regular MD a while back he asked about the knee.  I commented that it felt heavier.  He responded with "Well, you can't expect it to be like the one God gave you".  Not too sure I want him for a doc anymore with quips like that after giving an honest answer.
    • Posted

forgot to add in my reply..... I told physio about the heavy clunky feeling, He showed me an actual prosthesis and I was astounded to be told that it weighs over 2 pound more than an actual knee it certainly explains a lot hope this info helps you
  • Posted

I am only 12 days post tkr and feel mine clunking with every move I am hoping I will just get used to it, It doesnt hurt but feels very odd best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.