i feel tired a lot

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been taking amatriptaline for 16 days and the next day my partner says i can hardly keep m es open  is this normal 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've been taking it for thea Same amount of days and for the first couple of days I was the same, it's now got easier and now doctors said soon you'll feel no tiredness, I take 10mg at night and that's all, how about you?
    • Posted

thanks i also take 10 mg at night doc said to up it to 20mg soon and then to 30  i also take 8tramadol and 8 dihdrocodeine diring the day which hardly touch the oain hopiing amatriptaline will do it thanx again 

• Posted

It's the side effects of taking it will wear off after 5-6 weeks I take30-40 per night since last May and I still get it every morning but soon goes
  • Posted

I've been taking Amitriptyline 20mg for 3 weeks.  First couple of weeks was quite hard on the daily drowsiness but it is getting better every day, I have also read it takes 5-6 weeks to get used to it.  I've decided to stick with it as I'm getting some pain relief now.
    • Posted

As a pain killer it's been the only one that's giving me any real relief I've tried so many other types I was once on 8 50mg tramdol and still in pain
    • Posted

Taking 10mg for the first time tonight to see if it makes me really drowsy in the morning.  I hope not as I have to drive to where I work.  If it does I might try to take half the amount Sunday night if I can manage to split them into two.
    • Posted

That may work but 10mg is very low I started on that and it was not that bad the next morning it may be ok everyone is different
    • Posted

I started on 10mg for 1 week then went up to 20mg.  It is a bit tough the first few days but I didn't have a problem driving.  You just feel a bit tired.
    • Posted

thanx i will continue i aso take dihdrocodeine and tramadol and am hoping to come of them 
    • Posted

i am also on 8 tramadol and 8 dihdrocodeine ,hoping the amatriptaline will work for me 

• Posted

Thanks for your replies, I chickened out again!!  I don't even take paracetamol unless I have to.  The doctor prescribed these as I have been getting pins and needles around the back of my head and in one side of my face and a stiff neck.  He said that it is like sciatica in my neck, caused by pressure on a nerve in the top vertebrae.  I don't think that my actual pain is half as bad as most peoples on here.  I think that I am very fortunate.
  • Posted

Hi

was on amitriptilyne for 8 months. Vsried amounts several times under medical advice to try and limit side effects but no imorovement. Personally had soooo many side effects put me in downward spiral til forced to stop .. But ref your qu about tiredness..yes this is not unusuall. LOTS of entrieson this website in forums about tiredess and this drug.

previously on Gabapentin it would send me to sleep with no warning for like 14 hours..evenright in middle of a transfer or in middle of tasks...lol it was like someone had a remote control and just switched the off switch....all very unsafe..but apart from affecting concentration, focus, memory, speach etc it did not make me actually drowsy when not sent to sleep, wheras amitriptyline.....all day eyes open eyes closed eyes open eyes closed etc and falling asleep at table, in wheelchair and no tolerance built up..nit long before stopped taking it I fell asleep in my wheelchair the second a visitor left house and basically woke up properly 4 days later, had woken for few mins after 2 days..enough to register had not moved and needed to do something and straight back to sleep before chance to do owt and after four days woke up long. Enough to sort self out, as you can imagine four days lots of personal things to sort out, but then so tired crawled into bed and felk asleep for anothe three days. This is very extreme I think. Even if the last scenario does nit happen to others, the constant falling asleep and drowsiness is not uncommon. 

I feel very strongly about this and the other drugs in same family...whilst all drugs have huge lists of possible side effects, which of course not everyone is susceptible to but with these the occurnce of side effects and the limitations on peoples lives from severity of drowsiness etc is so extreme and common, in fact every person I have met has these effects on this drug without exception, that there should be more significant warning by docs instead of just dolling out prescriptions.

anyway, sorry for ranting on, I hope that like one or two have put on here that their drowsiness reduced, that this happens to you and so you still get the benefits and none of the bad bits. Good luck!

• Posted

Really don't know if I want to take these.  Derek is only on 10mg and after 16 days he is still struggling with staying awake.

P.S.  Derek, is your birthday 27th April?  If it is, it is the same day as mine!

• Posted

I hope you find solution that works for you!

all the best

• Posted

I was the same on Ami - I have since learned that in order to get the best out of it, take it 12 hours before you need to be functioning again. It didn't suit me so am now on Imipramine, but pain is starting to get worse again  cry
    • Posted

Hi May I ask what sort of pain you are taking it for?  Just interested to see if imipramine might be an alternative for me to try... Altho you say painngetting worse, sorry to hear that. Maybe dosage needs adjusting? Are you experiencing any side effects?
    • Posted

thanx i will ask doc about imipramine good luck i hope it works for you .excuse my nosiness what pain are you suffering ?i have chronic arm pain and baffling doctors rolleyesxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.