I fell

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi

well i did it....managed to fall not sure what happened think i wobbled off the kerb. so i protected my tkr...not a mark on my jeans that side but grazed it a little...but went over on to my right arm...torn my rotator cuff so cant move my upper arm away from my body.

struggled to get up...only had left arm and left leg that were working lol .

have to laugh cos done crying about it...back to struggling with personal care again...cant drive again and had just gone back to work.

have you tried hanging washing out with one arm lol xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Penny, I hope you're healing well. one of my biggest fears is falling. I took a misstep the other day on a curb and just caught myself in time. I had double tkr 3 yrs ago. I couldn't imagine going through that again. I have bursitis in my shoulders and fibromyalgia that is most painful there. I certainly can understand your pain. So yes i had a scare and after my heart slowed down i chided myself for being the natural clutz that I am. Heal quickly painlessly as possible...and laugh. Been laughing at myself for years...it does help.😁

• Posted

Three years p/o and I slipped off a bottom step and fell last week. Scraped up the knee, wrist hurt for a few days but the knee is fine...it's metal!!!. Gotta learn how to roll. The biggest thing to prevent falls is to do the muscle rebuild not only after the TKR but continue to keep those muscles strong long term. Only then will you regain your balance which is the #1 thing you can do to prevent falls.

• Posted

I know falling is scary for everyone that has had tkr for me I walk slower and try to us the handicap curve and side walk

• Posted

For me, I always avoided walking on grass for a long while. The uneven turf, small holes, divots, etc. presented a real challenge because my balance was off and any unnoticeable slight alteration in the pitch (angle) of the ground would easily throw me off balance. Even though I am much stronger today, I am still wary of walking on grass in a park. My feeling is that I would have to be a lot stronger to be more confident about doing so.

• Posted

i did the same thing, but in the dark and had no idea where the ground was. We had just moved in to holiday let last March, the ground was frozen . So in order to protect my tkr I curled up and hoped. The drop was about 4 foot, I landed on my right side 3 broken ribs and a buggered right shoulder . But my knee was ok 😃

• Posted

"But my knee was ok..."

Of course it was...it's METAL!!! Amazing how we all worry about the knee and rip up some other part of our body. Ribs and shoulder? Ouch... Luckily, frozen ground just doesn't happen here in Texas. However, if I was going somewhere where that was a possibility, I'd take a lot of precautions, like skid-proof overshoes plus a walker or something. ..and I'm 3 years p/o. I'm so thankful not to live in New Jersey anymore where that would be a problem 5 months out of the year.

Pre-TKR, we'd all just do something without any thought (get out of a car, go down some stairs, climb a ladder, etc.). Now, before I do ANYTHING, I think "What can go wrong here?" and judge the situation accordingly. Gotta stay safe...

• Posted

at least im not alone then lol xx hoping it hasnt gone altogether...feeling very mardie about having anymore surgery unless they agree to manip my knee whilst at it lol xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.