I fell on my shoulder!

Posted , 6 users are following.

About a month ago I tripped on a lint roller and landed on my shoulder and side. I had my arm under me so I wasn't trying to brace myself at all. I just landed flat on my shoulder, hip, elbow, and side of my face. Initially the pain from my head was so excruciating I didn't feel anything else just the thunder clap head ache. After a minute or two of crying and holding my head it lessened and I began to feel the impact on the rest of my body. My shoulder began throbbing and aching awfully. So I went to the ER. They said nothing showed on the X-ray and it was probably just bruised but I knew better. It was quite obviously deformed with a lump on the top of the shoulder and significant swelling. It didn't start to bruise or turn yellow until a few days later. But I took my pain pills and continued on. At first the only pain I felt was muscle pain like when you work out but that started to fade around day 4 and at that point I began to feel an ache. At this point the muscle pain is completely gone but now I'm left with an ache. If I move my arm across my body it hurts tremendously and I don't have the ability to pull my arm behind my back which I can do just fine with my other arm. I haven't been able to sleep on that side since the fall. It begins to ache and I'll wake myself up all night because I try to turn over on my side. The most excruciating pain is when I sneeze. It literally brings me to my knees. Right when I sneeze I get this awful intense pressure in my shoulder and it brings tears to my eyes. I'm just frustrated and I was wondering if anyone knew what could be going on? My shoulder is still higher on the top then the other side and tender to touch. I'm supposed to go see an orthopedic surgeon but the dr wouldn't say anything else and wasn't very helpful. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

An MRI will show more than an X-ray.  Make an appointment with your doctor before it gets worse.
  • Posted

I would guess rotator cuff tear! Had that surgery along with 13 others! I know the feeling and it’s bad😢

• Posted

So sorry for the pain. An x-ray will not show anything except for a broken bone. You need an MRI 
  • Posted

Yep,  you need an  MRI.   The emergency room doctors,  my family doctor and the orthopedic surgeon all  said I just strained my shoulder when I fell.  Finally the ortho ordered an MRI and he was very surprised to find 2 tendons 100% ruptured off the bone.   good luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.