I felt overwhelmed in a large store today, unable to focus

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, has anyone felt overwhelmed In a large department store. Today I went shopping in a large store and just could not focus, I was afraid to look around in case I got giddy. There seemed to be too much going on and I had to leave. Thanks.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am always so bad in stores! The bright lights and too much sensory stimulation kills me!!!
    • Posted

It's a strange thing, I feel my eyes darting around,lights seem too bright, dry mouth,lump in the throat or bad taste in mouth - anxiety is just so much fun!
    • Posted

This has happened to me as well. Sometimes the stores not comfortable in temperature or its too crowded. Holiday time or when its really crowded can be anxiety producing. sometimes i bring a cup of ice in with me. If you put an ice chip under your tongue your brain get all busy on focusing on the coldness.. i dont know, but it works a lot of the time. 
  • Posted

Hi Sam yea it happens to me,Saturdays not a good day always packed,it's a nightmare,maybe try going in the week when it's quieter don't beat yourself up bout it,it's done now ,you can't change it,at least u done it.so be proud of what you did do.......
    • Posted

Thanks Zenna and everyone else who replied, it seems that I'm not on my own then. I just don't understand why though. I'm sorting out a health issue at the moment and it is giving me anxiety for sure but I normally love shopping and now I hate it. I hope this feeling goes away it's horrid. Best wishes all with your anxiety probs.😊
    • Posted

Most anxiety is about control and the lack/loss of it, either now or in the past or the fear of it in the future I think. Anything that threatens it for some people is just instant anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi jmcg2014, yes I can understand it being about control but I worry about not being able to control the way I feel and what the consequences would be if I couldn't. I just about managed to keep control today by not staying there too long but it's not a solution. I am going to have to work at it somehow, maybe try some mindfulness techniques. Thanks for your reply.👍
    • Posted

Sometimes it's better to look to a professional therapist for some advice, its often very effective. We can set ourselves back by trying to do what we think might help. Mindfulness is mild of course and won't do any harm. For me though I found it didn't help at all,but I know it does help many people
    • Posted

A therapist is something to consider. As mentioned I have a health issue at the moment and so far the tests that I have had done have comeback clear. I still have a couple to go and I cannot see this anxiety feeling disappearing until the results are known.The problem is I still have the symptoms. Many thanks for your replies.
  • Posted

I have thisproblem with open spaces. Even enclosed spaces but I am getting better with closed spaces. Whenever I ho to the toilet there needs to be a windows
  • Posted

Does anybody notice that it's the extra bright lights that are a problem?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.