I finally found a solution to 17 years of constipation

Posted , 50 users are following.

This isn't a question but I just wanted to share this for anybody that it might help because it truly changed my life. I've had chronic constipation since I was 3 years old. When I was 3, I was molested, and (I was told by my doctor but I'm still not sure how the two are connected) I began holding my poop. I would only hold it for a few days when I was younger, but it became a habit, and by the time I was 10 years old, I could hold it for about 3 months. Some people say that's not physically possible, but trust me it is! My body began to work in a cycle. I would poop, then I would not poop again for 2 weeks, then I would become constipated and hold my poop in for 2 weeks, and then finally I would let one out the size of a softball. This often tore my rectum and cause hemhorroids. When I was about 15 years old, I finally began to realize how serious it was that I only pooped about once a month. So I tried to change it. But by then my body was so adapted to the cycle that nothing I did ever changed anything. I had already taken every type of stool sofener ever, and eventually even enemas stopped working for me. Constipation was literally controlling my life. I had no friends anymore because I was too uncomfortable to go out and do anything, and I often missed weeks of school at a time because I could not move or I would be in so much pain. Over my life I had been in the hospital a few times and they gave me an enema and stool softeners and discharged me. The problem always came back. I suffered with this problem all the way through my junior year of high school. I would come home at 17 years old my would be crying and searching the Internet for anything that could help me. Doctors didn't even know what to do anymore. One day, when I was 17 years old, my mom took me to the hospital because I had not pooped in about 2 months and I felt like I was dying. They gave me an x Ray and told me that I was completely impacted. No enemas or stool softener a could fix it, I was going to need surgery. I was transferred as to Neumors children's hospital as an emergency patient and placed in the icu for a surgery the next morning. Then my doctor decided that a surgery should be the last option. They gave me enemas and had me drink 2 gallons of mural ax in one night. It made me have to poop so bad but I couldn't. So here I was, a 17 year old girl in the icu on tons of pain medicine, crying and leaking poop all over the bed and floor, while my mom was in the same room. Not a pretty picture, I know. I was in so much pain and so depressed in the icu for four days before they finally did the surgery. I was put under anesthesia and when I woke up I felt great. They had manually removed all the stool from my body. I was told to take miralax twice a day and a stimulant laxative every morning. Doctors advise against taking these regularly, but in my case it was necessary. I was also put on Zoloft, for anxiety. I'm not 18 years old and I have not had any problems with constipation for almost a year. I've had this problem all my life and I honestly thought nothing would ever work for me. I thought I would never get married or have kids, I would be a virgin my whole life. But my entire life has been turned around in such an amazing way. For any moms out there desperately looking for a cure to their kid's constipation, this may not work for everybody, but it sure as hell did wonders for me. Fist you need to get ALL of the stool out so that you can completely start over. I had this done in a hospital, but you can do a simple intestinal clean out, just find one online. Then I took a cap of miralax every morning. When I got home from school, I took a stimulant laxative to give me the urge to poop. If you have done the clean out and taken the miralax, it should be almost diarrhea and it would come out easily. Continue this for a few months until your body get used to NOT holding poop anymore. And if you hold your poop, you may want to consider an antianxiety medication to relax you. The Zoloft did really help me a lot. I'm currently still taking Zoloft, but no stool softeners. And I haven't had a problem in almost a year. Sorry for all the nasty details and everything that was TMI, but it's worth it if it helps ANYBODY because nobody truly knows wheat this is like until they experience it.

14 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here my story looking for anyone feedback. We moved in Sept 2016 shortly after i started having bladder issues and constipation. I couldn't hold my bladder total lack of control. One night my urine was like cottage cheese. Lots of pain. Anyway long story short. I was told u had diverticulitis and needed surgery. When they got in there My bladder was attached to my bowel. I have had 2 open heart surgeries and they were a walk in the park compared to this surgery. Anyway a year + later and I now have an over active bladder. Still have issues with constipation weight gain . They did a scope no blockages but something not right u feel like crap..pardon the pun. I have a lot of muscle pain swelling weight gain no energy bladder no control constipation and when I do go it's little turds. I don't want the Dr to think I am a hypochondriac but I can't take much more.

• Posted

I struggled with constipation as a child up until 3 years ago when I started taking probiotics on a regular and drinking tea daily! It's been a life saver!! My issue now is my 3 year old grand-daughter has now developed this same issue so I'm looking for something that can relieve her...of course she's too young for tea and probiotics and most likely zoloft...but i'll keep searching cause i definitely don't want her going thru this for as long as i did. 

But I recommend trying probiotics and tea daily to anyone older than 18yrs old! 

• Posted

I don't think it has to be tea. An increase in liquid consumption, it can be water, will help with constipation. Hank

• Edited

I have had the same problem all of my life and even went to the hospital when I was 18 because I thought I had appendicitis. It also started when I was a baby and I had a traumatic childhood with an abusive father. I never knew that this was related to trauma. I have also tried everything and when I am very backed up nothing works. What keeps me regular now is the combination of magnesium oxide, flaxseed oil and fish oil. I take those three pills every night and I have never had to take another laxative since. I also take an antidepressant and anti-anxiety medicine. There are natural ways to treat these things with diet and supplements. The best thing to do is to stay away from negative people.

• Posted

Hi. i just now saw this all these years later. so, miralax isn't working for me anymore. I'm really sick a lot. it affects my life. my job. everything. i take citalopram and Wellbutrin for depression/bipolar. pantoprazole for my stomach ulcers. anyway, i was diagnosed years ago with IBS but idk if that's just because the Dr didn't know what was wrong or what. i can go a couple months without pooing. my tummy will look like I'm prego too. idk if y'all have any other suggestions. i would really appreciate any suggestions. thank you and sorry for the late reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.