I first noticed these sores when I was 20, I had just ha...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I first noticed these sores when I was 20, I had just had my first child and had gained almost 100lbs, which my doctor said was the cause I am 22 now and they have only gotten worse. I am mortified and completely depressed over this situation, it has changed my life, I have low self-esteem and no sex drive, because I am so embarressed. All I want to know is has anyone heard if you lose the weight can it go away? I want my life back. Good tips though, I have found that Tea Tree Oil helps and sometimes just covering with a blister band-aid will help mine to just go away and not fester.

[i:13df35eb44]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:13df35eb44]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI

I WAS TOLD BY DOCTORS THAT MY WEIGHT WAS CAUSING THE HS BUT AFTER LOSING ALMOST 5 STONE NOTHING HAS CHANGED EXCEPT MY DRESS SIZE.

WEIGHT IS AS EASY TO BLAME AS SMOKING WHICH IF YOU STOP ALSO HAS NO EFFECT.

[i:8985b83348]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8985b83348]

• Posted

It is very interesting that you mention the use of tea tree oil. I have had several abcesses in my left breast, which can become very large and painful. I have been to a surgeon about 4 times to have the abcess aspirated. It seems that I am getting these abcesses consistently every 3 months or so and it takes about two months after the aspiration for it to heal completely. So I do not seem to have much time in between abcesses.

My surgeon has recommended that she do surgery to remove the gland in the breast. She then tells me that she has known the abcesses to come back even after the gland is removed. To me it makes no sense going into surgery and having a part of my breast removed if there is a good chance the abcess will come back.

I was beginning to feel very helpless. I have had a bottle of tea tree oil for awhile now and use it on cuts and abrasions with great results. I decided to start putting the oil on my breast when I began to feel the stinging that I associate with the beginning of an abcess. I have noticed that the redness that usually occurs is now gone. I am hoping there is something to this and that tea tree oil will be the answer to my problems.

I have an appointment with the surgeon next week to discuss surgery. When I tell her about the tea tree oil, I think she will consider me nuts!! But that is ok, if it works for me, it works and that is all that matters.

Good luck to you and I hope that the tea tree oil continues to help you.

[i:b6bc3682ee]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b6bc3682ee]

• Posted

Your story sounds similar to mine. I first noticed them after pregnancy with a big weight gain. I think I shall be getting some tea tree oil to try as a few people has said it's helped them.
  • Posted

doctors like to blame everything on weight and/or smoking and although of course they are both bad for your health, HS is, after all, A BACTERIAL INFECTION. So although it can be aggravated by weight gain and smoking, it cannot be CAUSED by it. When I first got HS, I was not overweight at all (although I did smoke). Since that time - 10 years ago - I have gained weight unfortunately and this has no doubt aggravated it from time to time, quite simply because there is more flesh and skin to rub and get sore and sweaty.

It's a very hard and unforgiving disease, it's painful, it's embarrassing, very little is known about it in the medical profession and there is no real support or research (apart from the groups we form ourselves). No effective treatment, no cure, often no sympathy from doctors or health workers because they do not understand it. I didn't talk about my HS for years - not even to my mum or sisters - but I decided a few months ago that I would no longer be silent. As embarrassing as it is - I WILL talk about it and I will educate people (hopefully without becoming horribly boring!).

I am also SOOO very lucky in that I believed a few years ago that I would be single for the rest of my life (I'm 44). I just could not envisage EVER having a loving relationship with a guy in my state. But NEVER GIVE UP HOPE GIRLS - for 4 years I have been with the MOST unbelievably kind, patient, loving, understanding man I could ever have dreamed of meeting. So it can happen :-)

Courage to everybody out there. Pain free days to everybody and keep communicating!

Love and blessings

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.