I found i had skin cancer melanoma on my leg four years ...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I found i had skin cancer melanoma on my leg four years ago. I had it removed more or less instantly and was left with a fairly large hole in my leg, which does not look very nice but i'm not concerned about it because it saved my life.

I was treated at the Middlesbrough General Hospital and the staff there were all fantastic. I was always well looked after before, during and after my treatment.

I was petrified when i first found out because there did not look anything wrong with the mole on my leg. Even the doctor who first took it off thought that it would be okay. But the news wasn't good and i had to have a further operation to see how far it had spread.

Anyway i was closely monitored for three years and did have a further mole taken from my back but that one was fine. I would advise anyone to go to the doctor if they suspect a mole is not right because early treatment is your best chance of survival.

[i:25c22d65e2]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:25c22d65e2]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing ok because I've had a cancer removed from my leg (also got a bit of an unsightly hole) but if that's all I have to worry about I really won't mind. Waiting to see the consultant again next month.
  • Posted

back of lower leg between the knee and the ankle - commonest site in ladies - back of shoulders in men - take photos and every 3 months check them
  • Posted

Also remember - early recognition and intervention is almost always curative - take advice if you are worried

JA

• Posted

Hi had a malignant melanoma of Clark 4 ,Breves of 1.8 on my left leg had it removed at Christmas time also had all lymp nodes on left side removed.I am really scared all the time not getting any info about what to expect just go to dermo every 3 month and seen someone different both times .My surgery was done in Spain and my aftercare was thorough came back to UK as was told I would need a years preventative chemo( came back as family here and have 7 year old son) when I got here told that do not offer that in the UK and there you go that was the end of that. My 3 month check has lasted less than 1 minute and last time I was not even asked to undress. This has left me with sever anxiety and on top of that I am having to work 16 hour shifts as a care worker. Its all getting to be too much. I have no support from my family who are all currently sunbathing in the garden(without sunscreen) and I am not getting any answers from doctors or nurse here. So any help any advice anything would be good 'cos its the not knowing that is getting to me.I like to have all the facts so I can control things. But every time I turn on the TV there is someone dying of a stage 4 malignant melanoma .I cry every day and I don't sleep some one must be able to tell me something.
  • Posted

Hello Mrsalegre. I came here for advice having just had a biopsy. The consultant told me not to worry. Well he's not the one sitting here with a hole in the face and stitches waiting for a diagnosis! Anyhow I saw your post with no replies and just had to write to ask how you were. All of us here should be supporting each other. Hope you are well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.