I found what worked for my CFS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I just joined and looked around a little for mention of Iodine, but didn't notice any comments about it ...

I started researching what was wrong with me a year ago when my chronic fatigue was starting to really get in the way of my life.  I read many forums and was pretty depressed by what I read and figured I was stuck with this thing for life.

I mentioned my worsening fatigue to a friend online who said to try Iodine.  Iodine?  Hmmm, okay, I'll try anything.  I am so happy to report that I have only had one day of slight fatigue since I started Iodine 5 months ago.

I will shout from the rooftops to all CFS sufferers to at least look into it.  The whole protocol is a bit daunting, but once you get the hang of it, you will get your life back. 

The Iodine Crisis book (available at most libraries) is a good informational place to start for specifics and you can find some Iodine info online, too.  The medical community frowns upon Iodine because they have been taught misinformation, but if you are comfortable going it alone, or better yet, if your doctor is Iodine literate, the solution is golden.  It is cheap to order the ingestable Iodine online.   You cannot use topical Iodine.

It may not be the answer for everyone, but now that I can work, play, exercise and even get stressed at work and still have abundant energy, it is the answer for me. 

Facebook had a good forum called The Iodine Workshop and I have heard there are Iodine forums on Yahoo. 

Jacquie

(If this is misplaced or the topic is not allowed here, please accept my apologies)

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

How much iodine do you take daily? I've been taking 12.5mg of Iodoral for almost a year. I have definitely seen benefits, although I still have symptoms (that I'm now thinking may be related to a hiatal hernia and possible silent reflux).

Everyone should know that it can cause insomnia, so take it early in the day. I found out the hard way.

• Posted

I am still at 25mg of Lugol's in my smoothie.  I take it in the morning, yes, because I read that it is energizing.  I love how it feels.  I also have noticed that I feel 'oxygenated' or sort of like all my insides and joints have been lubed up, if that makes any sense.   I actually sleep a lot better too.

Are you salt loading and taking the companion nutrients, too?  A lot of people take extrea salt water throughtout the day and experience benefits. Before I found out about the salt, I was having pretty bad detox symptoms. 

I've found that it is really individual, too.  What works for one, is different than what works for others.... that's why I have found the Facebook forum so educational.  I find gems of info to try when I read through the comments and experiences!

• Posted

I do add salt to my water daily, I also drink an electrolyte solution in my water - I tend to get dizzy when I stand, so I specifically do the salt for this reason. I stopped taking excess vitamin C because it was causing bad joint pain and easy bruising. I do take selenium with iodine as I've read that taking both together is cruicial for thyroid health.

I had a nasty case of thyroiditis going on. In fact, docs thought I was just hypothyroid and we medicated the heck out of me and I only got worse, not better...so they determined I wasn't true hypothyroid. After I started supplementing iodine and selenium, the thyroid numbers have improved. I went from a TSH of 9-something to currently about a 2. Don't recall what my T3 and T4 numbers were and are now. 

• Posted

I dropped my C, too.  I use Celtic Sea Salt at 1/2 tsp in 1/2 c water, followed by 12-16 oz of water.  Then I add the salt to foods and sometimes more in water during the day.  I take the selenium and C a couple hours after the Iodine ... the Magnesium and a bit of zinc at night.  I added B's a couple months in and felt a ton better
  • Posted

Hi jacquie .. I'm glad this worked for you and your doing good . Myself I have tyred lots most through doctors and pain clinics. I would be willing to try this but I think I would have to speak to my gp first tho . It might work for some people , but I don't know if maybe it would depend on how severe the persons me/cfs is . I myself am on a lot of medication so would need to know it was safe first . It's nice to see a positive with this illness . Best wishes x
    • Posted

You absolutely should work with your doctor. There is at least some thought that it can damage the thyroid if too much is taken. I started taking it because a doctor asked me to supplement. Both my family doctor and endocrinologist have had no issue with my continued supplementation.
    • Posted

Good idea to discuss with your doctor.  Some of them are pretty savvy about iodine.  Check out the book, too, tons of great info re: thyroid, cancer, fatigue, etc, etc ...   
    • Posted

The body doesn't make iodine so it has to be provided by your diet . Iodine is needed to make thyroid hormones which your body needs to be able to work properly . Your neck may swell ( goiter) may have nodules you will become hypothyroid . Hypothyroidism has much the same symptoms as listed for ME/ CFS / FIBROMYALGIA . It has been proved many patients " diagnosed " with me/ CFS/ fibro actually have hypothyroidism . I would look further into thyroid disease even tho all your blood tests have come back from the lab normal , they are renowned for being unreliable . A trial of thyroid hormone is the best test , it will not harm you if you are unsure start on a low dose and up it gradually speak to your GP ( be warned most GP s won't go against normal bloods) I insisted until I found a doctor who would give me a trial , amazing !!! 
    • Posted

The breasts also need iodine, from what I've read they use a lot of iodine. It's my feeling that maybe the breast cancer epidemic could be tied to lack of iodine in the diet (also men's prostates need iodine). Iodine can help with fibrocystic breast pain. Unfortunately, I still get monthly breast pain because I have trouble getting to the dosage of iodine needed for the breasts.
  • Posted

I was just listening to a doctor podcast and she mentioned supplementing iodine if a person is tired because sometimes tired is from being low in iodine.
  • Posted

Hi, thanks for your post. I have had very severe cfs for 12 years. tried everything and felt very low since i was diagnosed 12 years ago, im 50 next month. no sex life. men run a mile. so shallow !! i will try iodine and pray it works for me. i have no life and going crazy!!
    • Posted

I have read that low Iodine will lower sex drive, too.  Iodine was purposely reduced in nymphomaniacs, and it cured them.  Brocolli inhibits Iodine and I think that's one of the things they would use.

Anyway, give it a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  But please don't start without reading up on it and especially the companion supplements and salt loading. 

I wish you the best!  Also if you are a facebook person, go to the Iodine Workshop page, they have awesome support there...

• Posted

Jacquie

I have been struggling with CFS for 8 years, and I am ready to give up. For a mother of five to pray for the sweet release of death.... well, let's just say it gets bad. Is the iodine protocol you discussed found in the book? If not, where can it be found? I was also wondering how long it took you to notice improvement. Thanks in advance, I'll try anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.