I fully ruptured my Achilles' tendon six weeks ago...when does it end?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Folks!  I realize this site is for patients in the uk but every time I go online I seem to end up here so I thought I'd join the group!

I am a 39 year old female and I ruptured my Achilles while playing volleyball. I wish I could say I made an awesome play but my Achilles didn't let me make it to the ball.  As I was moving towards the ball I heard a pop and looked down to see what had landed on me!  Sure enough there was nothing there.  I made my way to the ER where I sat for seven hours. I was told that I had partially ruptured my Achilles and was put in a splint and given crutches. An MRI was scheduled and I would go to see the ortho doctor a week later.  

At my first ortho appointment I was informed that I had FULLY ruptured my Achilles and that the splint I had been wearing for a week had been put on incorrectly in that my toes were not pointing down. The doctor suggested a non-surgical approach. I was put in a plaster cast with toes pointed down for three weeks.

After three weeks I returned to ortho to have cast removed and to start wearing my walking boot. The boot had five wedges in it and I will be removing one wedge every two weeks.

With it being week six of my recovery I am currently down to four wedges.  

I had assumed that once I was in the walking boot I would be able to walk!  But this doesn't seem to be the case.  I have gradually stopped using the crutches when I am home.  If I know I am going to need to walk a little further than from room to room I still use one crutch.

So now that I've shared where I am at, here are some of my concerns or questions...

1) Does anybody else find it difficult to walk with the boot? What about standing?  I find my good leg is hurting because of the extra weight I am putting on it when I stand and my good foot/heel hurts.  Does it get easier as you remove wedges?

2) My foot turns really purple when I've taken it out of the boot and stood to shower.  Is this ok?  It does return to a more normal colour if I elevate it for a couple minutes so I haven't been too worried.

3) How soon did you return to work? I'm a teacher and I have not yet returned.  Originally it was because of the crutches but now it's more because I can't imagine being on my feet for seven hours and moving from student to student. Plus there is the fear of being bumped.  

4) Looking ahead to being done with the boot...what's it like to walk with shoes on your feet and having no muscle in your calf?  Does physio hurt?

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!  Good luck to everyone who is going through this and congrats to those of you who have been there done that!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

My anniversary is 12th Jan 15 playing netball - surgery on the 16th after a chronic rupture. Hated the crutches and absence of sport / mobility which only compounded how miserable I felt. I am a primary teacher Y6 and med insurance in Dubai is not as comprehensive as NHS so my arm forced slightly in terms of returning to work. I was off work total 4 weeks so albeit in the boot I was on my feet after 4 weeks post op. Experienced a fair amount of discomfort and by the end of the day gravity had done her worst and ankle size of a house, taut too felt like it would burst. Boot and wedges as per everyone else's comment; one removed each fortnight. Boot came off on 12th March. I am up and about still get huge swelling in ankle and foot but no pain and any limp hardly noticeable. I can stand on my toes but can't hold it for any time. Still can't run and no push off. I feel and am told I am doing well and I attribute this to my general fitness, diet & have been back swimming from week 6 which I feel has benefited strengthening and stretching. I have first physio tomorrow and will be asking how much longer for swelling, push off strength, toe raises etc .... It's not an easy journey.

• Posted

Am interested in the discussion of your foot going purple as I have the same thing and it does concern me. Do you know if this is normal or not?
    • Posted

Hi Ali,

Its normal for foot to become purple and after rest it will be fine again.You should not be concerned.Infact it getts better from there on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.