I gained weight ( 2 lbs) after taking Orlistat for a week. :( Does it mean it will not work for me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm having oily stools whenever I take orlistat, so I thought it's working well for me. I eat less and exercise 20 to 30 minutes daily. But I'm not sure why I gained 2 lbs after a week. sad 

Should I stop taking orlistat?sad

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if ur having oily stools it means you are eating too much fat still. Nothing can be over 5g per 100g and no more than 15g per meal 3 times a day. If you are doing it right you get no side effects at all.
    • Posted

Hi Fatfairy! Thanks for your help. Now I get it. smile I hope this time, it will work for me too. smile
  • Posted

I have been taking it for 6 days... And really only now got the hang of my fat portion controls. I have eaten alot less than I normally would and still having the side affects so I know for for me personally I still need to cut down on the fat. But I have lost 5lbs so far... Have you changed your diet at all?? I haven't excercised though not had the time with and two year old and a 6 month old!
    • Posted

Hi Laura. Are u checking all yr labels and making sure that it's less than 5g of fat per 100g not in total.

I lost nearly 5 stone using these tablets but they only work with hard work. All they do is frighten u into eating high fat stuff incase u have horrid side effects !! They are far from magic pills but kept me on the straight n narrow smile good luck x

• Posted

Thanks for the info...wow 5 stone thats brilliant! How did u do it? Obvs sticking to the 5g fat per 100g but did u exercise? What kind of meal plan where u sticking too?did it take long? Sorry for so many questions but I have a similar weight to loose ... Thanks x
    • Posted

I did a cross trainer a couple of times a week but I have a physical job n I'm too lazy after work lol.

I ate lots of fish and salad, chicken salad n pasta with home made low fat sauce. It is REALLY hard work. But soooooo worth it in the end x

• Posted

Ok that seems like something I could do, did you ever give your self treats? How long did it take to lose 5 stone?? Xx
    • Posted

I use to have a bag of marshmallows or jelly sweets on a sat night. Odd glass of wine now and again. Took me 8 months but list the 1st 3 stone in just over 3 months.
    • Posted

Thanks for all that info, its certainly something to aim for.. Does the weight loss get less after 3 months because your body gets use to it?
    • Posted

I just became a bit more lazy after the 3 months. More glasses of wine on the weekend and it was over Xmas so really hard to portion sizes ect. As I love my grub lol
    • Posted

Hi Laura, I do eat less but some of it are still a bit fatty. Silly me..(facepalm) Will search for low fat diet now. Thanks heaps! smile

• Posted

Hi, sorry to jump in but i was hoping you may be able to give me a little advice, on what foods i can eat, I've been on orlistat for 6 weeks but my weight has stayed the same the last 2 weeks.
    • Posted

You need very low fat, I stuck to roughy 1200 calories a day and everything under 5g of fat per 100g.

These pills just stop you eating crap cause of the awful side effects they don't make you loose weight. You have to do that. If you are eating huge portions or too much fat you will not loose. You have to follow a low fat diet and watch sugar ect and the amount of calories you're consuming. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.