I get anxiety in certain situations, is this normal or do I have a problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

21 female whos new to this forum. I get mild depression because of a physical disability but also anxiety in certain situations. Its not very often so I'm wondering whether this is normal or not.I think I adapt my lifestyle to what I find stressful and worrying because I don't go out a lot apart from work, shopping with family and the odd friend.

New things will make ne anxious like a new job. I'm fine now but I found the learning process very stressful and always think the worst. I can get over worried about work sometimes but I am comfortable now.

For example I will be very anxious/shakey before Doctors appointments (maybe due to the unknown) because I'm very self consious.

I'm not that independant, took me a long time to be comfortable walking around my local town as a teenager and getting buses etc.

On trains I will have to double check that I'm on the right train all the time. (I dont get trains a lot but I'm quite capable) I just try to get direct trains otherwise I have to research a lot beforehand. I did pass my driving test but I find I get to anxious to drive in the unknown. 

I don't go out a lot because I worry a lot about what people think of me.  spend a lot of time by my self! I'm only comfortable with friends I've known for a while and find it difficult to talk to new people.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm 21 years of age and I have anxiety. I would say it's only a problem if it interferes with everyday life (stops you from sleeping, concentrating, going out). I would say its pretty normal to get anxious about doctors or on a bus as that's quite normal. If you do think it is interfering with your daily routine. Speak to the doctor. They won't necessarily put you on anti depressants straight away. They can advise you to research certain things to limit your anxiety when faced with these situations.
  • Posted

Hi Aniex,

Anxiety about new circumstances is quite common with many people. Try to do those things repeatedly to get confidence. I am sure, once you gain confidence, you won’t be anxious anymore.

• Posted

I do have problems sleeping but its not all the time, I had a few panic attacks years ago. I find in difficult to make a doctors appointment. I've only just recently been to the doctors for something unrelated to sleep or anxiety!

i hate wasting doctors time. I feel like my problems aren't severe enough sometimes. Like I've had problems sleeping but its not happened recently.I get scared of telling them things because last time I went for problems with sleep they sent me for mri and sleep study and found nothing so i wasted time and their money. So they discharged me and told me to go back to the gp and get a blood test which I've put off!!

when they discharged me I got all stressed and I think I've woken up twice with what they call exploding head syndrome. But that's stopped now.

its not like I conveniently forget things but I get so anxious in doctors appointments it slips past my mind to tell them important things

• Posted

Have you had cbt or psychologist as I'd say it's chronic insecurity manifesting itself as anxiety

if you can have therapy to understand this you will find you'll be able to cope in social situations better

• Posted

A few years ago (I was at college struggling to finish an assignment so I put it down to depression).

I went to the doctor about a bit of mild depression. They basicly told me there is not much funding and I had to talk to someone over the phone which I found was pointless, as my problem is speaking face to face about my issues.

I also have trouble talking to my parents. I don't talk openly about anxiety or depression. They don't know about the telephone assessment/ councelling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.