I get immediate relief from constant dizziness by chewing gum

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been suffering with a form of dizziness which started quite innocuously but has gradually become very fierce and debilitating. I'd describe it as an intense headrush, like an exaggerated sense of movement, predominantly while I'm moving around, although as it's progressed I've begun to feel it regularly when I'm sitting or lying still as a strong swimming sensation. It's easily visually triggered, so my head will swim whenever I'm working with something directly in front of me; so I find it difficult to read, write, use a smart phone, tablet or P.C, and washing up is an absolute killer.  Although the condition has worsened steadily over the last 12 months it has never made me feel unsteady on my feet, but because it's balance related, I experience frequent nausea and on bad days all I can do is sit still and try to move around as little as possible.

I've been seen by various consultants, both ENT and neurological, and although there is general consensus that it's probably vestibular in origin, the exact cause of the symptoms has not been identified. 

I've been presecribed Stugeron, Betahistine and Noriptyline, none of which have been effective, but a while ago I noticed that the symptoms were pretty much absent while I was eating. So I started chewing gum, which miraculously gave almost instant relief. Unfortunately my dizziness returns within 30 seconds of stopping chewing, but at least it's given me a means of being at least partially functional during the day. 

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's either experienced similar symptoms, or who's tried the chewing thing with any success.  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was going to tell you to look into issues with your neck but since you said chewing you could look into a TMJ dentist. Could be a jaw issue. If you want to go with vestibular issue then go to a neutotologist with a T. They are ear specalists. If you want to go the neck route thrn go to a cervical chiropractor not a regular one. Look up all these things on google with the word dizzy at the end.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response rocksolid. I've researched TMJ disorders previously and it would seem that any connection to dizziness is pretty tenuous. TMJ dentists do exist in the UK but some are selling snake oil by the look of their websites. I've checked out neurotologists in the U.K with no luck, as the subject seems to come under the ENT umbrella. Will check further though. I've also previously researched the cervicogenic dizziness angle pretty exhaustively as well but I'm pretty dubious, as I don't think it would explain the instant relief when chewing.The last ENT consultant I saw felt that the fact that the symptom is relieved in this way indicates a pressure issue in the inner ear, which is relieved when the eustachian tube opens. Sounds plausible to me, what do you think? 

• Posted

Sounds good but the ENT did not fix the issue? Maybe thy ned to put tubes in your ear like they do to yound children here with ear issues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.