I get the inner thigh cramps too

Posted , 8 users are following.

Was reading all the comments about the inner thigh cramps.  They are so excruciating, I too want to pass out.  I am 61 and divorced/single.  Sleep with my dog.  When I get them, I scream and cry and cannot control my emotions.  I sleep with my heating pad near by and that seems to help, but by the time I wake up, get heating pad turned on, the inner thigh spasm.cramp is in full swing.  I feel so alone but realize i am not having read others have this too.  I've gone through child birth and that is a cake walk compared to the inner thigh cramping!

Good luck to us all!

Suzie

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Drink a small amt of Pickle juice. After many years of suffering with this I have figured out it's from dehydration and this works quickly, I'm guessing from the salt content. It always happens to me when I've eaten too much sugar and have not drank enough water to dilute that sugar. Hope this helps someone. IT IS THE WORST PAIN EVER!

• Posted

It appears that the cramps happen at night. Has anyone ever had them during the day?
  • Posted

I have been a suffer of debilitating sever thigh cramps for years and never have been able to determine what has been the cause. I have tried all the solutions suggested here. The only marginal relief I have ever found is to quickly drink a glass of orange juice when a thigh cramp hits. This fairly quickly reduces the severity of the cramping and the duration. I am lucky enough to have a great husband who knows to bring OJ when I wake up screaming when a cramp hits, I could not get it for myself.

However, recently I think I have finally discovered the cause of the cramps. I am sharing as it may be the solution for some of you as well. For other reasons, I have also taken small doses of over the counter Motrin or Alieve almost daily. About 3 months ago I decided to stop taking these NSAID's. During this time I have had no cramps at all, sever or otherwise with one exception. One day about a month and a half in I had some muscle strains and decided to take some Alieve. That night I got 4 different very sever thigh cramps. I did some research and found that a rare side effect of NSAID'S is leg cramps, and Alieve in particular is associated with leg cramps. So with the one exception when I took the Alieve, I have had NO cramps at all since stopping the NSAID's.

I wanted to share my experience here as I have never read or have a doctor suggest that NSAID'S could be the cause. I hope sharing this will help help someone as the thigh cramps are the worse acute pain known to man!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.