I get up at night to pee > HEART palpitations, feels funny > takes time to sleep again. Why?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I generally have a small bladder.

If I drink a protein shake, coffee, I go to pee (clear) after 15-20 minutes, normal, I know.

But if I drink some extra water at night before sleeping (or eat some watery fruit), I absolutely DO wake up after sleeping for 2-3 hours.

Again, that's normal, I know.

BUT... when i get up, pee and come back, my HEART starts PALPING, pulse is a bit high (90-100), and heart feels funny, uneasy.

This goes for about 15-30 minutes so I can't fall asleep immediately. But after that, I can clearly sense that the heart feel comfortable again, no palps, it's calm, I can fall asleep.

OTHER INFO: No pain, no angina, no irregular pulse. I lift weights (intensely) 3-4 days/week so my BP/blood sugar is very normal at 115 over 65-70. My pulse is usually around in the high 70s to mid 80s during working hours, and low 70s when waking up.

What could this be? Is it just the sudden getting up in the middle of sleeping that's making the heart race? Whom (IF) do I see since most Docs take BP and on seeing 110-115 and 60-70 and seeing that I am very fit otherwise, don't look that much in detail.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You might want to get checked out for a couple things...

Afib comes to mind bc it can cause sudden. palpitations. It has also been associated with 'the big pee' that occurs alot at night.

Afib can be tricky to diagnose if you only have occasional bouts. A simple ekg can catch it, but you need to be IN afib...having the palpitations...for it to present itself.

So a heart monitor worn for a week or longer may catch what an ekg does not.

Also, afib can affect dedicated athletes...sounds like you work out regularly...

A second thought is you might want to get tested for sleep apnea. Maybe you are struggling to wake up from an episode and the adreiline is setting off your heart.

Just my 2 cents...hope you can get settled.

• Posted

Do you jump up quickly to go to the toilet. A doctor was in the paper and advised getting up slowly, sitting on the side of the bed for 30 seconds before moving, he said strokes and heart attacks can be cause by waking in the middle of the night and jumping straight out of bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.