I got my kidney function test back. It's somewhat concerning

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone. I got my kidney function test back and I actually do have kidney disease like I was worried about. It says my EGFR 88 mL/min/1.73m2. According to some websites that would put me at stage 2, right? They also said i have liver disease too. Do alot of these results look somewhat bad? 

GLUCOSE 116 mg/dL 74 - 106 mg/dL H

A normal fasting glucose concentration is less than 100 mg/dL. 

An impaired fasting glucose concentration is 100-125 mg/dL. 

A provisional diagnosis of diabetes mellitus can be made when 

a fasting glucose concentration is greater than 125 mg/dL.

BUN 14 mg/dL 9 - 23 mg/dL

CREATININE 0.77 mg/dL 0.50 - 1.10 mg/dL

AFR. AMER. EGFR 106 mL/min/1.73m2 >=60 mL/min/1.73m2

NON-AFR. AMER. EGFR 88 mL/min/1.73m2 >=60 mL/min/1.73m2

BUN / CREAT RATIO 18   10 - 26

SODIUM 141 mmol/L 132 - 146 mmol/L

POTASSIUM 4.1 mmol/L 3.5 - 5.5 mmol/L

CHLORIDE 107 mmol/L 99 - 109 mmol/L

CARBON DIOXIDE 24 mmol/L 25 - 35 mmol/L L

CALCIUM 9.6 mg/dL 8.7 - 10.4 mg/dL

PROTEIN, TOTAL 7.1 g/dL 5.7 - 8.2 g/dL

ALBUMIN 4.1 g/dL 3.4 - 5.0 g/dL

GLOBULIN, CALCULATED 3.0 g/dL 2.4 - 3.8 g/dL

A/G RATIO 1.4   0.9 - 2.5

BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.6 mg/dL 0.3 - 1.2 mg/dL

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 77 U/L 46 - 116 U/L

SGOT (AST) 44 U/L 0 - 33 U/L H

SGPT (ALT) 71 U/L 10 - 49 U/L H

here is a picture of it for proof. I know that my kidney disease isn't that bad yet. but i'm still somewhat concerned. Could anyone please give me advice on what I can do to make sure it doesn't get worse than it already is? And i just wonder if i am getting the muscle twitches and light brown urine from the kidney disease or the liver disease? because they said i have fatty liver disease too. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Also I do want to apologize to everyone on this forum. I do certainly owe you all an apology. Because i know i came here 2 months ago and said that I believe that I have either stage 3 or stage 4 kidney disease even though I had not gone to the doctor yet. And although i do technically have stage 2 kidney disease I realize that my kidney function is not as serious as most people in this forum. And I do realize that most of you have alot of serious problems as a result of chronic kidney disease. I know the 88 percent kidney function isn't my biggest problem either. I guess my biggest problem is the non alcoholic fatty liver disease that I have now. And the fact that I am 220 pounds over weight is another one of my biggest problems. My symptoms that i was talking about in my first post 2 months ago must be symptoms from my liver disease though. So i hope you all can accept my apology and forgive me. Because I know I should not have worried this much when my kidney function isn't as bad as I thought. I was thinking it would be 50 percent or less function. But the 88 percent function isn't horrible I realize. I was also wondering if any of you all would have any advice though on foods that I should avoid? Because I don't want my kidney function or my liver disease to get any worse than it is now. What kind of diet should I go on too? Because the kinds of diets that you all are on can probably help me with my liver disease and it could also help me so that my kidney function doesn't get worse than 88 percent for along time. So some of the advice that you all could give me will certainly be beneficial to me as well even though my kidney function isn't that low. 

• Posted

Hey Megan. Need to confirm 2 things then I'll run through the results for you. I am not a medical professional, I speak from experience post accident, 2 transplants (liver and kidney) 2 brain surgeries and an amputation. During extensive stays in hospitals (especially Cedar Sinai in LA) of over 6 months I asked every question to get full explanations of all my bloods and conditions, building a lot of personal knowledge. So, as I say, I am not a professional but will tell you what j personally think.

Please confidm:

1. Where do you live...im guessing USA?. It's just UK and US have different measurements for blood results.

2. Are you the self proclaimed hypochondriac from the previous post?

Answer those 2 and I'll run down what I can see.

Cheers,

M.

• Posted

I live in the Usa. do you live in the usa too or no? And yes I am the one that came to this forum 2 months ago and I said that I was worried about having chronic kidney disease because i have muscle twitches, light brown urine, and also i have this increased skin pigmentation. I'm guessing you saw that post? I had alot of responses from people telling me to go to the  doctor. And i finally did that last week. Anyways i guess my symptoms that I mentioned in my first post must be from the fatty liver disease that i have. But according to some websites i saw online i also am classified as stage 2 kidney disease. 

• Posted

And also i'm sorry to hear about all of your health problems that you have had. I hope that you are doing alright now. I don't exactly know what it it's like to have those sorts of health problems. But i certainly do have a few health problems of my own. So i know it can be very stressful. By the way look at my second post to view the picture that i posted of my results. the picture is easier to look at.

• Posted

So Megan you DO NOT have CKD stage 2.

Your egrf of 88 is normal in the absence of protein and blood in your urine. Slightly lower but that is most likely due to the excess weight you are carrying putting strain on your body system.

Your Liver function is only slightly elevated and this is most likely due to your weight.

However your blood glucose is elevated suggesting you are on course for developing diabetes type 2. Also caused by your weight.

So time to be honest with yourself. If you didnt have a weight problem you wouldnt be worried about your health. You know for a fact being overweight causes all sort of illnessess not the other way round.

Time for a lifestyle change. Join the weight problem forum you may get great support and help to get fit with people in the same position as you.

Good luck.

• Posted

Yes i am betting that my EGRF is alittle bit lower than normal for a person my age because of my weight. I know my weight is my biggest problem now since i am 220 pounds over weight. The doctor also said i have fatty liver disease. And i know i am close to getting diabetes. So those 3 problems are more concerning than my kidney function. Also the doctor did say that there is no blood or protein in my urine so that's good. And the doctor did tell me that i need to lose weight. So I am going to go on a diet and I will exercise too. I am sure that if i lose all that weight then my liver function won't get worse and that will certainly help my kidneys as well. I know it was stupid of me to worry so much about having kidney disease when I have several other problems that are alot more concerning right now. So i am sorry for bothering everyone here so much. I know i should join a weight loss forum and probably a liver disease forum since the doctor was saying that i have fatty liver disease. I know those will be more helpful for me right now. Thanks for saying good luck too.

• Posted

Where did you get the idea you have stage two kidney disease?  Anything above 60 is normal kidney function.  Your Creatinine level is normal.  Your BUN level is normal.  You do NOT have CKD.
    • Posted

I just saw on some websites that an GFR of 88 is classified as stage 2 kidney disease. But the doctor said she was not worried about my kidney function so that's good. I just was thinking that my kidney function is just slightly lower for my age since i am only 30. And I know that everyone's kidney function goes down as they age. And mine is probably little bit lower than normal for my age because I am obese. But yes i know that my kidney function isn't horrible. My biggest problem is that the doctor says i have non alcoholic fatty liver disease. So i do realize that i have a much higher chance of dying of liver failure than i ever do of kidney failure. I don't know if my liver disease is in the late stages yet either since i have to do more tests soon. But if it is then i know that my liver problems would be the reason if i die early. I know i should probably just only worry about my liver problems now because that is the biggest issue I have.  I know i need to go on a diet for people with liver problems for sure. Also, You were right when you said I should not diagnose myself by reading things online. Because i know i was so worried about having a low kidney function and then it turns out that the thing i need to be worried about is my liver disease. I know it was stupid of me to spend alot of time reading about kidney disease too because now i don't know anything about liver disease which is what my problem is. So ya i did actually learn that i can't always be sure what disease i have just by reading online. Because like you said alot of diseases have some of the same symptoms. I am guessing those symptoms i have been having are caused by my liver disease. So yes i do realize that i should not try to worry so much about my kidney function and i need to focus on my liver problems. I saw there is a forum here for people with liver disease so i will join that one because i know that will be more helpful for me now. But ya i just wanted to say that you were right about everything you said when i wrote that first post saying that i was worried about having stage 3 or stage 4 kidney disease. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.