I got some shocking news from the doctor, what should i do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am 20 years old but today i went to the hospital to check on my B.P but it was 173mmhg/98, pulse 100b/min.

Am really worried because the doctor told me i might need a surgery yet i come from a very poor family of a single parent(mother) since my father abandoned us some years back. Am really worried because i fear to die and live my mother alone.

Please i kindly request for your help please.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi matovu. Firstly try to stop worrying because this will only keep your blood pressure high. My son is in his 30s and has highish BP but it is normal for him. Why has your doctor suggested surgery or is nothing to do with your BP? Your BP will rise when you know you are going to see doctor or hospital. It’s called white coat syndrome and most people suffer from it. Has your doctor put you on any medication?
    • Posted

But the problem is that my heart has started becoming big according to the normal size. What worries me a lot is that in case am going for surgery, i don't have money for it and am afraid i may die.

• Posted

Hi, matovu80077

The first thing you should do, in my opinion, is to make an appointment to see a regular doctor. I'm not sure where you are, but one thing about most hospitals is that they like to do a lot of surgeries, and one reason for that is because it brings in more money. That's great for them, but if you can avoid surgery, why not do so?

Enlarged hearts can be caused by a number of different things. When I looked it up, one of the causes was stress, which by the way, is also one of the causes of high blood pressure. So this very issue could be stressing you out and causing more high blood pressure, etc. It sounds like a vicious cycle!

Start doing some things that bring high blood pressure down naturally, such as avoiding prepared foods (stick to a lot of fruits and veggies and recipes so you can control the sodium levels. For now, try to keep your daily sodium level at around 1500 or so. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Some of the really basic things can actually make a HUGE difference in blood pressure.

Keep the doctor's appointment and get that second opinion. That's a good idea anytime a doctor says you need surgery for anything, actually. When the doctor takes your blood pressure, breath with nice, slow, deep breaths. In other words...relax. Think to yourself, "It's going to be ok." If I'm taking my blood pressure and am nervous about it for some reason, just thinking those words helps immensely. It's like a mind game!

Good luck. I hope you're able to get that second opinion, and that it's good news! : ) I'll be rooting for you!

By the way, I got some of that information from googling "can an enlarged heart return to normal size," and the first two answers were from the Mayo Clinic and Wikihow. 

• Posted

Hi Matovu, you don't mention where in the world you are based? 

What is the Surgery your doctor has suggested you may need?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.