I got the results from my doc, 5.2 TSH normal t4 and t3

Posted , 4 users are following.

TSH = 5.22 high

Free T4 = 13.7 normal range

Free T3 = 4.1 normal range

and the results of two weeks ago:

TSH = 4.56 high

Free T4 = 14.9 normal range

As i mentioned before my doc put me on levo 50. i started taking them three days ago and today i had a fast heartbeat, just come and goes..

I dont get it, all my life i felt fine, im 28 years old male. I hate living like not knowing whats wrong with me, my blood tests are fine except this.

Can i be hypo despite these results ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peterkh87:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

In short YES, you can be Hypo still based on your TSH.  The TSH is a sensor hormone and the thyroid can make more or less of the hormones needed based on a signal it gets.

if you have symptoms of, feeling cold, weight gain, sleepy/fatigue, muscle aches, bruising, low body temp, low heart rate, brittle nails & dry skin, low energy, and brain foggy or concentration problems this can help diagnose you even more.

The TSH can go up or down and since you just started a new dosage it takes about 6 to 12 weeks to build a new level. 

Thyroid disease can start anywhere from age 20 to 45 and it can be from a family trait or DNA thing, or a nasty virus called Esptein-Barr (MONO), or from stress to the gland from another medical condition.

If you are having a fast heart rate a lot then call the doctor, you may need to drop down to 25mcg dose.  It can take the body a bit of time to adjust to the new medication and it should stop after 2 weeks.

Also worth saying is some people can have so called normal blood  work and as the thyroid gets worse in time the T4 and T3 will change too, a special blood test for thyroid antibodies called TPOA and TGab should also be done to rule out Hashimoto's disease, which can make blood work look good and the TSH look bad.

Any questions, just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

shelly your'e a great person and thank you for your reply!

Well i went to see the doctor in the first place because i was feeling tired, lack of energy and motivation,sleepy and hair loss(the hair loss issue started when i was 21..my father started to lose his hair in his late twenties so maybe genetic maybe not), other these symptoms started a month ago.

By the way, i asked the doctor to show me TSH level from a blood test i had 10 years ago, which was the last time i tested myself before these new two test. the TSH level was 4.0. i think it was pretty high too back then right ?

One more question, how can a viral infection affect TSH level? will it get higher or lower?

Thank you!!

• Posted

Hello Peterkh87:

Virus infections can cause thyroiditis or inflammation of the thyroid gland.  Mono now called Epstein-Barr is a certain known thyroid attacker.  It causes certain antibodies to attack your gland as if it was a foreign object in you.

It takes many of years, but if left uncontrolled these antibodies will damage the thyroid and render it useless.  It can slowly bring on more symptoms. They can check by a simple blood test for these antibodies TPOA for short and TGab and ESR (ethyrocyte sedimentaion rate for inflammation markers), all 3 of these can pick up any inflammation in the body.

The thyroid is very effected by gluten in the food and can also cause you problems.  A bad FLU can cause the thyroid to get irritated. Stress and bad living conditions and a lack of iodine in the diet can also cause Hypothyroid problems.

It is also a family trait and it runs in my family and may run in yours also. Women get it more than men. Hair loss can be a thyroid problem and that happened to me and then after 6 months it cam back.

Viruses can bother the thyroid so it can alter the TSH if the thyroid gets irritated by the virus and it can go Hyper or Hypo, it all depends.

Ask th e doctor to do the TPOA, TGab and ESR, one test could be okay and another show high antibodies, they all test differently.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Peter, I would suggest that you ask for copies of your blood test results and keep them, so that you can look back and track progress. Keep a record of your symptoms too, so that you can let your doctor know how you are getting on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.