I got two diagnoes regarding my injured ankle. What should I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

So I tripped on Wednesday. My foot only was swollen a little around the ankle and the pain was bearable. It started getting a bit worse each day so yesterday I went to the walkin clinic. The doctor said it was a minor sprain,but she sent me to get an xray just for my own peace of mind. I got one. I went home then ten inutes later I got a call saying my talus was fractured and I had to go to the ER. I get there and the doctor says he does not like the xrays from the clinic. He sends me for new ones.Then another doctor comes and asks where my ankle hurts. He then checks the x-ray for about fifteen seconds and from afar shouts that it is not broken and I can just go home and take advil. I saw the x-ray from the clinic, but not yet the hospital one. I will link below the clinic ones below and the results. I am thinking perhaps the hospital. This x-ray is not at all blurred and I found the little floating fragment and the fracture kind of where the heel joins the talus bone. I want to see a doctor again but my mom says I should stop worrying and just keep going on with life.

Emis Moderator comment:I have deleted the links to the images as they had expired. Users can upload images directly to this site.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello boy this would make anyone worry as one person said it was a fracture and then to be told theirs no fracture....IF i were you i would get checked again for my own peace of mind and hopefull you will be told that theirs no fracture again...If their is then you can get sorted and stop worrying about doing more damage to it and get on with a recovery...I have a fractured talus and with any fracture the docs say it need to rest and stay off it...wishing you well maria
  • Posted

Two opinions!

If you have a fracture you'll know it!

Needs Below Knee Plaster of a Paris (POP), allow for plaster shrinkage if Swollen.. if too swollen a back slab splint. don't walk on it needs rest for about 10days to allow swelling and bruising to reduce.  Ice Packs if you can to help reduce swelling in turn help with pain.

Analgesia,

Paracetamol 2 (4hourly) no more than 8 in any 24 hours.

Ibrufen for inflammation instructions on the packet.

Drink with glass of milk.

A & E Doctors are very busy and can miss fractures.. treat it like the first assessment.

double tubigrip and Splint. Non weight bearing for now.

important..

Wheelchair or crutches for 10 days if still the ankle talus area still hurts!

Go back & get a Full plaster applied. They will have the X-rays can check or take them with you if you have them..If this is a missed fracture you'll be in POP for another 4/5 weeks..possibly partial W/B..

good luck!

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your injury and subsequent confusion on the extent of the injury.  A few thoughts come to mind:  Elevate your foot/ankle as much as possible.  The higher, the better to help reduce the swelling.  Ice the injury a couple of times throughout the day (10-20 minutes each session).  Wrap the ice pack or baggie full of ice in a towel before placing it on your skin.  No Rx prescribed for pain?  If not, use over the counter acetaminophen for pain-follow directions on the package.  Ibuprofen or Naproxen (but not both I or N) follow the directions on the package.  Rest the injury: stay off the foot as much as possible.  Give it another day or so if it is not improving go back to the see the doctor.  It is possible that you injured soft tissue.  It is possible that you have a hairline fracture.  The doctor could take more x-rays or a CT scan (or even an MRI).  The CT scan or MRI would provide the clarity which seems to be an issue on the original x-rays.  There are several bones in the ankle and foot.  Try to stay calm and positive.  If it hasn't improved in pain/discomfort or swelling, make another trip to the doctor for a follow-up exam.  Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!! 

• Posted

Hi there

I had an injury on my left ankle in November and on the xray it showed minor cracking on the tibia so they put half cast. After a week I started getting pain in places which were not initially thought to be injured. A week later I made MRI and lots of injuries were revealed. I had fracture on the posterior part of the tibia which was not seen on the xray, completely torn lateral ligament and partially torn posterior ligament.

Don't rely on the xray, request for an MRI as you may have soft tissues injuries which cannot be seen by xray.

In any case even if it's a sprain your ankle should be imobilized by at least 2 to 3 weeks.

All the best

• Posted

I have had numerous sprained ankles in my lifetime due to my active lifestyle.

I have also had a fracture in my left foot and if you have a fracture, you'll definitely know it.

I never went to the doctor or hospital when I've had ankle sprains. The way I treat ankle sprains is by icing it, elevating it when I'm watching TV or laying in bed

When you want to walk on it, make sure to use an air cast and wrap the ankle with an ace bandage. I wrap the foot, before the toes up to a few inches above the ankle to make sure it's completely secure.

Now, for me, I usually walk on my sprained ankle while its wrapped up and secure but, I'm always the odd one out.

I personally have never stayed off of my ankle ever but, I'd say it depends on the pain you're actually feeling. If it's really bad and really swollen, ice it and keep it elevated. Ice it 20 min on and 20 min off.

Now, if a bone in the ankle is fractured, you'll know it. You won't be able to put any pressure on it and if you do put pressure on it, it'll hurt extremely badly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.