I guess I have a abscess

Posted , 2 users are following.

This scenario fits the clinical picture for a tooth abscess, anyway on Wednesday last week I had a tooth ache with pain and tenderness in the tooth, I was unable to bite on the area. By Friday I had swelling and pain in my face and jaw. I took a few home remedies such as, using clove oil, teabag poltice, taking garlic and other herbs, using Tylenol and ibuprofen for pain. The swelling is gone, but my jaw remains tender and sore, and my tooth is hurting but not like before. There is less swelling on my gum line. I live in the U.S. So my choices are see a doctor for antibiotics then a dentist appointment as we have no emergency dental clinics in my area. I joined the forum for support so any ideas?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dasuperrnc,

sorry to hear of your tooth pain and swelling, but you are on the right tract,usually the dentist would look at your tooth, do an xray and decide on the antibiotics you should have and the lengh of time you need to be on it.

Hi Dasuperrnc,

sorry to hear of your tooth pain, but it sounds like you are on the right tract,those remedies are short lived but they do help.

Usually the dentist would see you and then do an xray and then decide on the antibiotics you need to be on if you need them,and how long you would need to take them, make your dental appointment asap, as somtimes the swelling and pain, stop or appear to be getting better then suddenly it starts and becomes worst after a few days.

The antibiotics really do help and is well needed before any dental treatment, I had the same but it was because my filling fell out and then the tooth became infected and also the tooth next to it also became infected and  that had a crown, in the end I had a lot of dental work done AND 4 SETS OF ANTIBIOTICS as I delayed  for  too long I am fine now no more pain thankfully.

Good luck hope you get a dental appointment soon  and get that tooth sorted out, time is always important you need to be quick, before more decay.

• Posted

Yes, you said you had a abscess, was your jaw involved, my neck is also sore. I read on the net that an abscess can travel to the neck and even the heart and brain, very very frightening, but I'm very use to this kind of frightening news,  just not for myself.  I hope it's only lymph nodes and not bone.

My face swelling is completely down, my tooth is slightly painful. The green tea bags with infused tea tree oil has been a blessing as poltice, practically removed all the swelling because my rt. side of my face Friday to Saturday looked as though I was packing nuts for winter.  However, there remains a small bump right on my jawline.  I've been following the natural methods for years now, but I also believe in integrating both modalities. I will continue taking my andrographis, olive leaf, garlic and golden seal p.o. Until I get some amoxicillin this week. Then Ill get an appointment with a dentist. 

I also had a filling fall out months ago and it was a old Mercury one, I chose to ignore it and last week I was eating popcorn so I surmise a hall dislodged into the space somehow letting bacteria from my tooth into the area, but I really do not know if this is so.

I plan on getting help this week,so it's quiet good advice.  Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Dasuperrnc,

yes the infection did spread to my jaw, side of my face and to the tooth next to the bad one, I was put on 4  antibiotics 3 were amoxycillin and the 1 was amoxi clav which  really cleared the infection, i had antibibiotics before dental treatment and after as when all the dental work was done I had a check xray and it showed a small amount of infection was still there  thats why I had more antibiotics after the dental treatment,If not treated quickly it spreads like while fire and it can be critical. I  used a lot of warm salt water to rince my mouth out which was helpful as well natural methods are really good and helpful  I do believe in them as i use them often, but you need antibiotics to get rid of the bacteria infection that is inside the tooth.

once a filling has dropped out treatment from the dentist should be done right a way as the open space in the tooth just lets more bacteria enter and then the infection gets worst so my advice based on my own experience is to make an appointment asap and start your dental treatment. good luck this week hope you get those much needed antibiotics and your dental care  sorted out.

• Posted

I saw someone this morning I am on clindamycin 300 mg QID for 10 days no one will do a thing until infection is cured. thanks for reply it helped since this is my first experience with a abscess. 
  • Posted

Hi,Dasuperrnc,

you are on your way to recovery you will feel alot better when antibiotics are completed and you have had your dental treatment.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.