I had 4 asthma attacks in one day without my inhaler

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I had my first asthma attacks on Friday, it was a frightening experience as they were my first ones. I was going to take my blue reliever inhaler but I found it empty. I didn't know what to do so I just carried on as normal. It went away after a bit so I thought it'll be okay, only to find another one had started! My parents were busy and I didn't want to cause a fuss so I yet again carried on and it went away. Only for it to go through the cycle again! I don't know what to do, I'm worried if it happens again and it gets much worse. By the way I don't have a preventer inhaler just a reliever inhaler.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, you do need to get checked out with a doctor. And you should carry a emergency inhaler, its nothing to mess with and asthma attacks are not fun. Take CareĀ 
    • Posted

Thank you very much I have an appointment next week to see the asthma nurse.
  • Posted

*Update*

On Monday I went to the hospital again after coughing every 2 seconds constantly, wheezing and tight chest. They put me on a nebuliser for half an our because I THEY thought I was having an asthma attack, the nebuliser did not work. In fact, it made it worse... They then said it's nothing, just a touch of bronchitis... Made me stay overnight and gave me oxygen and antibiotics through an IV. I was sent home the next morning with antibiotics in tablet form. Still doing bad as I still get really bad coughing spells with a tight chest. I am really worried that it will develop into pneumonia as the tablets get stuck in my throat, if the go down i usually end up throwing it back up...

• Posted

Hello I too had a similar experience when I was coughing every 2 seconds. I had some bacterial infection going on, was put on antibiotics and steroids and oxygen for 2 weeks till I slowly got better. Go back if you don't feel better in a couple of days. I was told to come back in a couple of days so they could monitor me. Good Luck to you 

• Posted

They didn't say if it was bronchitis but called it a bacterial infection..it didn't seem like bronchitis at all with the constant coughing.

• Posted

You need to go see a doctor and get a refill for your inhaler.  I've had this happen to me and it got so bad It felt like i couldn't breathe whatsoever.  It happened when I was heading to bed.  I'm 23 and have had ashtma since I was 10 years old.  You really need to get a preventer inhaler.  I have the orange one you take once in the morning.  It does help some what, but when my blue inhaler runs out i feel like i just might die.  I can't lie down cause it makes it worse, i have to sit up and try to fall asleep like that.  I also find going outside in the fresh out helps as well.  

No matter if your parents are busy or not, you really need to bring it up to them and make sure you always have your blue inhaler with you at all times, it's always good to have a spare at home too in case your main one runs out.

• Posted

Yes I went back to my GP told them what's had happened, they gave me the brown preventer inhaler and another blue inhaler. It is a horrible feeling when you are struggling to breathe and you couldn't do anything good without your inhaler, I learnt a valuable lesson. NEVER LEAVE WITHOUT YOUR INHALER!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.