I had a bad flare up with my acid reflux, can someone please help me??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm Ariel and I'm 16. Just last year in August I was diagnosed with bad acid reflux, that was during volleyball season. During bowling season I was earing things like doughnuts, burgers, mac and cheese, etc. On February 6th, my acid reflux started back up again because I was going into track season. It has been 5 weeks and I'm constantly nauseous and I've lost 23 lbs. My GI doctor has prescribed me with numerous medications from proton pumps, to Carafate (liquid and tablet), to Zofran (which doesn't work), it seems that I have tried everything. Since my doctors would prescribe me with the proper medication I started to take Benadryl and Dramamine. I'm on Week 5 of this sickness and now it seems that Benadryl nor the Dramamine works for me. And on top of that I'm taking medications for sleep and none of those are working!! So I went to the ER Monday because I was having chest pains and abdominal pains and really bad nausea. They couldn't do anything for me and couldn't even prescribe me with nausea medication. However the doctor did give me a shot to relax my muscles for the stomach pain and he gave me this anxiety medication and that took away my nausea but he couldn't prescribe it to me because of some government rules -_- and he also prescribed me with the same stuff that was in the shot. And that medication helps but now since I'm nauseous I'm not eating, it's hard to swallow even water sometimes and this morning I woke up with a really dry throat and it lasted all day and now whenever I wet my throat, it feels weird almost like I'm coming down with a sore throat! Also what has been weird is I've been drinking a lot of water and gatorade and I end up with that. Now.. I know some of ya'll might say that I should just lay down and try to relax. Well my back hurts because I'm hunched over a lot because I'm so nauseous like I'll try to lean back and then I feel like I'm about to throw up but when I go back to being hunched over I'm somewhat fine again. I'm taking Maylox, Mylanta, Pepto Bismal etc., and nothing seems to work. I went back to the doctor today and he basically sends me to a dead end. I tell him all my symptoms and he says that he'll schedule me for an Endoscopy in 2 weeks -_- and another test next week and I asked him if I could have some nausea medication and he says the only thing he can prescribe me with Zofran. It's like they're not doing anything. I can barely sleep at night and if I do go to sleep it's from exhaustion. And I can't even stand the smell of food like my stomach in growling but if you were to present me with some food I wouldn't eat it I'm too nauseous. I even get nauseous if I swallow some water and if I clear my throat or sinuses I'm cutting it close to throwing up. For my hunger I try to eat a saltine cracker or a tiny bit of a banana or even drink some chicken broth but I always end up feeling nauseous as can be or feeling like I'm about to throw up. It seems like there is nothing or someone out there to help me!! I've missed 2 weeks of school because of this and it feels like I'm constantly at a dead end. Does anyone have some tips or remedies or something to help me??

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ariel -so sorry for the situation that you are in. Can you ring your Gastroenterologist rather than wait to see them to discuss the trouble that you are in and maybe he/she can intervene in some way. You really do need some medical intervention. Wishihng you the best of luck
    • Posted

I've tried to call them but either they're with another patient or they never call back and if they do call back, they say the same thing they said before

• Posted

GERD & IBS symptoms can over lap. Be patient as meds for GERD can make IBS worse. Vice CERN's. Continue communication with your doc and testing diagnosis is something that takes time . 

• Posted

Hey sorry to hear what you are experiencing. I do really hope you get better. I think you need to keep going to the doctors and pester them, I too had to do the same going back and fourth and finally yesterday they said they are going to do a rare test.

Go back to your doctor, pester them seriously! I found them too unhelpful at some point, I've been off sick from work this whole week.

Get well soon smile

• Posted

Hi ariel00018. First I want to say that it's awful that you are having these issues so young but if it is your Acid Reflux, I can tell you what's help me n that's taking My Medicine for Acid Reflux every day n no skipping. I have the tightness, lump in my throat, very dry n even wheezing at night n yes I get nauseous but not a every night thing. If taking your acid Reflux Meds every day n I'm on a 40 mg every day n it does truly help as long as I'm consistent. It sounds you have anxiety along with it. Maybe some breathing exercise, which I found on you tube. I hope this helps. Paddy

• Posted

Sorry that you have to go through all of this and at such a young age. What I understood from your post is that you get sick from movement/exercise. I too get sick from exercise or too much movement, it brings on the acid reflux in a hurry. I have LPR which is the silent form of acid reflux, you don't really know you have it until all hell breaks loose. I couldn't eat or even drink water without being sick and belching for days on end after I would eat or drink water. I was also nauseous 24/7. I had to stop most movement which wasn't too hard as I was so sick but the PPI's did work for me, they took away nausea right away but it took a couple of months of eating small amounts of good foods that really made the difference.  I hope you find some relief as it is not fun to have this affliction. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.