I had a bilateral TKR on January 7, 2016.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi... Staring in April 2016 I started having severe burning pain upon sitting and standing. Saw my surgeon and he recommended additional PTO. Completed PT still have the burning pain today, one year later. So Frustrated. Anyone understand? Thanks so much.

M. A.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I too have burning pain following TKR but not associated with sitting or standing. This has been associated with a combination of inflammation (arising from artificial knee joint placed in the body) and nerve damage from surgery cut over the patella of the knee. Surgeon prescribed a drug called Lyrica that I used for about 4 months. Found though that whilst it helped with the burning sessation I was always very tired. So about 10 months ago I gave up that drug. Over that time the burning sensation has diminished but still wakes me each nite. When it is too much I now take an anti-inflammatory to give me a break from the grind. 

Am now 17 months out from the TKR. Think I have several months more of the above until the burning sensation settles further.

Not sure if this info helps.

• Posted

Pete , Gosh 17 months wow I'm only 13 weeks ..I can't believe it's going on for so long, I've come off the hard drugs now, only a week ago as I realised they weren't helping as the burning sensation was there whether I took them or not. I just take a couple of ibuprofen at night but still awake most of the time, Hope we can all get over this SOON.

• Posted

Sleep with pillow between my knees to help deal with burning sensation at nite. Helps a bit
  • Posted

Mary , I just can't imagine having both Tkr , how on earth do you manage? I had mine right knee done 13 weeks ago & it also keeps me awake every night with the dreaded burning, sensation. It's also very stiff. I walk & exercise, I go upstairs well , can come down although very painful & awkward. My bend is 110. I truly thought by now I'd be almost back to normal, how wrong was I. !!! Also my scar is so sensitive & cant bear being covered . Hope you feel better soon & can be free of this burning soon. x

• Posted

Hi Mary Ann

I must say that, luckily, I haven't had the nerve pain with TKR. Having had sciatica in the past I know how awful nerve pain is.

If you look up Chico Marx's posts I'm sure he talks about nerve pain in one! Can't quite remember but I am fairly certain he has discussed it. Just look his name up & check down his posts. If you're very lucky he may reply to you or give a link.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.