I had a gastroscopy but I think they found something?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All!

I'm new to this forum thing but I am struggling to sleep with something running through my mind.

I had a gastroscopy earlier today.I opted for the throat spray instead of the local anaesthetic as I'm not one who doesn't mind hanging around in discharge.

While the procedure was going ahead I was listening to what was being said and I think this is what the issue is.

About 10 minutes into it he ask one of the nurses if she could see something. I didn't hear a response but he did ask her to go out and get someone else in. They got someone else in and he said 'look 7 oClock'.

They both went quiet and then he told the nurse to prepare for 4 samples.

When it was finished I was relieved but curious to what it was that was found.

I was told that someone did show up and 4 samples were taken for biopsies and I will receive a letter.

Could anyone shed some light GOOD or BAD please to what it was they may have found? Or why they would need to take 4 samples where usually it's 1??

Any info, ideas or possible reasons?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thank you in advance!!

Liam

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just checked my email before going to bed, and spotted this notification.

I'm a former nurse. This doesn't necessarily mean a thing. Who told you they only take one sample? They often take multiple samples. I think they only went quiet because they were concentrating on what they were doing. Sadly, medical and nursing staff forget they're actually in the presence of a sentient being far too often.

Of course, it's impossible for anyone to predict what the biopsy results will be. I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for them. (And the longer they keep you waiting, the less likely it is to be anything sinister, though the converse isn't necessarily true.)

If they'd seen something really catastrophic they'd have admitted you on the spot.

None of this means you're completely out of the woods, but I do think you're reading a bit too much into it, though this is completely understandable. Try and get some rest, and wait till you get the results. I hope it all works out OK.

Lily

• Posted

Hello Lily,

Thank you for responding.

I've got to admit I am one to look into things quite a bit. Since I was little things always seem to go wrong and I can't help but feel negative towards anything that is happening.

When I was 1 I bit my toungue off in a car incedent, when I was 5 a wall in a changing room fell on my and took the ends of my fingers off, when I was 7 I tripped on a cut down tree trunk and landed on another damaging and scaring my knee for life, when I was 14 I was told that I am showing signs that I might not be able to have children when I'm older (no idea how they could tell but it was from a urine sample?) On my 22nd birthday I had a spontaneous pneumothorax, when I was 23 I had blood tests which apparently showed something to do with ankylosing spondylitis, and now I have to have this gastroscopy and as you can imagine I'm a bit worried.

You did however put my mind at ease a bit, I need to tell myself that not everything is going to be bad.

Thank you smile

Liam

• Posted

Oh my goodness, Liam, you have had some bad luck. No wonder you're so worried - you must have lost all faith in the Universe. It always puzzles me how so much happens to some individuals, and through no fault of their own.

I can see the connection between people starting off as hypochondriacs, then tipping over into genuine illnesses, partly as a result of all the medications they're on, but there's always an element of self-destruction in these cases. Then there are other people who genuinely seem to attract misfortune. I have a friend of 50 years' standing who's a bit like you. One serious (and apparently) unrelated accident or illness after another through her whole life. Then her youngest daughter died of a brain tumour aged only 32.

In spite of everything, my friend remains a beacon of courage and support to all around her, and I suspect the same is true for you.

It must be difficult to trust your own body after all you've been through, but try and remain optimistic if you can. Your state of mind has a huge impact on the lining of your stomach, so you're not entirely powerless.

With all good wishes,

Lily

• Posted

MB you cannot get better advice than from lilly a nurse but just to confirm what she said. During my endoscopy like you I opted for the throat spray comments were made that worried me and as the tube was being pulled out I spotted some spots and blood red part in my stomach on the screen. I was going to ask the consultant about this but he had suddenly disappeared which also concerned me. So I had to wait for some weeks to see him and during that time I was imagining everything.

So full of questions when I saw him he stopped me mid flow and told me that I did have inflammation in my stomach but they can't say why.

I recently saw my GP and he confirmed that and said its just one of those things. Great.

So basically don't get too concerned and take some delight from knowing as Lilly says that if it was anything grim things would be moving more speedily. Best wishes Ted

• Posted

Hello Ted,

Thank you smile as you and Lily said if it was anything to worry about I'm sure they would of done something about it there and then.

Thanks again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.