I had a hallux valgus and Akins proceedure 13 weeks ago

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am still experiencing swelling and soreness if I stand for too long or walk for too far, is anyone else in the same boat?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I am exactly the same. I will be 13 weeks tomorow and still suffer from swelling and aches and pains if I do too much. I also had surgery on two toes.

We went away for a holiday a few weeks ago and when I returned home my foot was extremely swollen. Even my ankle and the bottom of my leg was swollen. I think I did far too much walking and the flight probably made it worse. It has gone down quite a lot but I still find it difficult to find any shoes which are comfortable. I have found the compression socks quite good for reducing the swelling and ice and elevation. It is certainly a long road to recovery. Lets hope that it will be worth it in a few more months. My foot certainly tell me who is in charge !

• Posted

Hi Christine

Sorry you are suffering too, I haven't used compression socks might give them a try if they have given you some respite.

• Posted

Hi, I had my procedure on 12th December 14 on one foot only, the three pins have been left in and I have just started some physio treatment to alleviate the discomfort in my thigh and calf which I have been told is the adjustment my body is making in the way I walk, plus compression of a sciatic nerve, I still roll my foot though!

I  have started walking again but only for 30 minutes a day and the ache is fine if I wear trainers or Clarks Brogue shoes (so pleased they are back in fashion) but if I wear flip flops or other shoes without my half orthotics (which make my back ache) then I am in pain and my foot still swells and aches. I am due to have the other bunion removed in September and as Christine said, your foot tells you when you have done too much but it is such a long recovery process that patience is the only answer. It will get better and your feet will look so much prettier that it is going to be worth it.

• Posted

Hi Sandra

So sorry you are suffering too. Thank you for your encouragement to be patient, I know you are right. I too am wearing brogues and find them not too uncomfortable, although my walking boots are probably the most comfortable.

• Posted

I had mince on 6/1 and still suffering swelling, CRPS stiffness in big toe and burning sensations. Physio is helping and you need to be positive or this recovery can really drag you down.  I am not great at practising what I preach but this forum has been a great support.

you are not alone. We are all sat at home massaging and soaking our aching feet and wondering what the future holds for recover and footwear options! 😱😀😜😎

• Posted

Ha ha.....not mince...mine! 😂
    • Posted

Thanks Sue for your words of wisdom, I must admit it's hard to remain positive all the time. Someone said to soak feet in Epsom Salts anyone found this useful?
    • Posted

Yes I have tried soaking my foot in Epsom salts and it definitely takes the aches and pains away. As I mentioned before flight socks or compression socks help to reduce the swelling.
  • Posted

Yes I bought mine from Boots. One tub does not go very far as you are supposed to put about a cupful of the salts into a foot bath so I had to go back and buy a large tub last week

• Posted

Hello, I had the same procedure, plus lapidus procedure. (Screws on top of foot) to prevent from coming back.

So, I too about 13 weeks and still have swelling around big toe. It's so puffy that if I was to Stand bare foot, it tilts toward one side. (Pinky toes) it hurt so bad some days I can barley stand it. The answer to Epson salt helping, Yes! Yes it does. I find that it make my foot feel so relaxed I don't even want to walk. By you wan to me it soak for at least 15min.

It's a long progress. It will take a long, long time, I figure. I thought I was doing so well and was walking all the time. Then one day it hurt so bad I was forced to keep I up for a few days.

So frustrating!! ;

• Posted

I know the feeling. so helpful to hear everyone's comments. Thanks
    • Posted

Omg.. I meant to say. Best way is to soak it for 15 min.

Lol

• Posted

Hi Jennifer tried epsom salts and found them really helpful, thanks
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer. I was wondering if your swelling has improved any since you wrote this post. I too have the amount of swelling you are talking about which makes my feet tilt towards my pinkies. I have just started using the epsom salts tonight which did feel really nice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.