I had a partial knee replacement almost a week ago but in a lot of pain with swelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had a partial knee replacement done just under a week ago and been sent home but have a lot of swelling around mid thigh and soreness in shin area swelling in my ankle and knee both where I had the surgery and behind and having trouble bringing it down to even do my exercises that physio have given me is there a way I can reduce the swelling better and be able to do my exercises easier any comments advice and suggestions are more than welcome I've been using peas for the swelling I'm finding it really hard to cope now

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So I've been taking everyone's advice on board and I ordered some ice packs from amazon and some gel filled handle grips for my crutches and also a mattress topper as I've found my back is killing from not being able to move in the night thank you to everyone who has replied so far means a lot just knowing I'm not alone on this recovery journey

• Posted

Good morning, you are not alone but it certainly feels that way sometimes.  Sounds to me like your aftercare has not been ideal and thats a shame.  There is so much that could be done to make you more comfy.  I was not able to sleep in anything besides a recliner for the first 3,weeks and sleeping in the bed is still not ideal.  As for icing I have a polar ice machine that is pretty much on me at all times, it was sent home with me from the hospital along with the cpm machine.

You can buy the ice machine on Amazon as well .

Just take it easy and don’t overdo- as I sit here with my ice pack after taking a pain pill- and it’s been 5 weeks!!  Not going to be a good day but thankfully these are getting further between, just like everyone told me!

• Posted

Yes I'm not having a good day today, I think I overdid it yesterday. I was doing really well on a static bike so in my wisdom I thought I would have a ride down the shops on my normal bike. I managed one revolution had extreme pain right across my knee cap and nearly fell off the thing so I decided that cycling wasn't going to happen just yet. I did manage to walk to the shop and managed pretty well but today it's really swollen and tender just where the scar is. Back to rest and ice today. I've seen a physio this morning who I pay for privately he says I'm doing well but told me to keep my bike in the garage for now. I have to say Ellen you've been lucky in your post op care getting an ice machine an cpm machine,

• Posted

I thought I was lucky just getting crutches and a toilet frame which the toilet frame I practically had to beg for just to loan
    • Posted

Defo going to get a toilet frame as toilet was so low had to stand for the first week if you have a hip replacement you get all that I heard the physio asking the lady in the bed next to me I also think a blue badge for 6 months would be helpful as you have to have car door wide open to get I and out

• Posted

Yes when I had my lift to go home In one of the new style jeeps big thing anyway I had to have my door wide open and the seat right back I'm tall sometimes at times like this I really wish I wasn't quite so bloody tall but that was fun (sarcasm) trying to get in and out of the car and I hadn't even finished I still had to get up 4 steps to my front door I practically had to beg on my hands and good knee just to get a toilet frame I know there's still some adaptions I could do with but at least I have a start now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.