i had a partial thyroidectomy 6 weeks ago and since then I have had extreme mood swings and anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone know if a Partial thyroidectomy can cause mood swings and depression and anxiety?

Prior to  the operation day I had my blood tests done to check thyroid function and they came back as " normal" meaning my thyroid was producing the correct levels of Thyroxin. I had experienced these bad symptoms before the tests were done so I was curious to know if there was a problem.. 

The reason for the thyroidectiomy was they found a 5cm lump on the right side and had to remove the whole right side to determine wether it was malignant or not. 

fortunately is wasn't malignant, but instead of feeling better i have experienced extreme tiredness, some depression mixed with anxiety and OCD type thinking patterns concerning personal issues in my relationship.. This has never happened before.

My surgeon told me after the operation my thyroid will work just fine with only the left side present but I am feeling unusally erratic moods and anxiety. can anyone help??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt,

I too had a right hemithyroidectomy on May21st, but after three weeks I was told it was cancerous and the whole lot would have to come out. Still waiting for this, but I was completely knocked out after the first op with extreme fatigue, depression, mood swings and worst of all thoughts milling around non stop at night. These last worse since being told about the cancer not surprisingly!

The surgeon told me that it takes six to eight weeks to recover from the anaesthetic and the shock to the body, so hang in there.

Because my lump was difficult to get out , I lost my singing voice and my voice stil gets very tired at night. 

In the sea last week I found it difficult to breathe as per usual. i think we both have to be patient. In return for little or no pain post op it seems fatigue and all the rest come in its place.

Good luck

• Posted

Well I am going in for a full thryiod removed soon . But right now I have hashimoto thryioditis and I know that when my level change and I am hyper I get a lot of panic attacks that I can't control and a big lump feeling in my throat, and that will make Mu icd symptom worse I take a hot bath and do some breathing excerises after .

Sorry I can't be more help

• Posted

That's interesting that you have hashimotos, and your levels can swing too high. I assume you've been taking replacement therapy meds.

I've had hashimotos for 12+ years, been taking meds for 13 years, and just had lump and right side of thyroid removed last week on Monday. Not knowing any better, I returned to work on Thur as I was full of energy!  But every day following surgery I slept very little (< 4hr/night). As weekend hit, however, I slept well.  Although I slept well at night, I had no desire or energy; the opposite from prior days. 

I just didn't know you could sway either direction so easily.  Tomorrow is first post-op visit with ENT. Maybe she can help.

• Posted

Hi, there! I also had a left-sided partial thyroidectomy because of a lump growing there. It was discovered last year and I had the operation on the 7th July 2017.

I was told that the lump was very inflamed and will get the results of the biopsy on the 17th August. I don't think it'll be anything to worry about.

What's affecting me the most is that I have no energy at all and could easily sleep right round the clock! I have days in bed and am asleep most of the time. I'm now beginning to get really anxious because I'm supposed to be returning to work on the 21st August (4th August today) and I'm so worried I won't cope. I attended my GP recently and he said they can't check my hormone level until 3 months from the operation and my levels were fine beforehand. Don't know what to do, to be honest- but in a way relieved that it's not my imagination!!

How are you guys getting on now? Much better, I hope!

• Posted

Hi Matt. I’m sorry to hear to hear that you are experiencing these issues. I just had a total thyroidectomy on Monday so I am 5 days post op. I had a large lump of 4 cm on the right side also however I had 5 additional lumps which ended up being a total of 3 on each side.  I honestly thought I was doing well until today. I cannot stop crying and I’m completely exhausted. I have done absolutely nothing all day but lay in bed and feel completely overwhelmed and sad. In my mind I was thinking that it was just from having surgery etc. But now that I have gone on here and read the multitude of stories that describe the same symptoms and some are couple days post op and some are a couple years post op. This scares me to no end because I cannot live this way.  The foggy , sleepiness, and sadness that I’m feeling today is not something I can deal with every day for the rest of my life. 

Have you been able to find any answers from the forum or your doctors since your posting? 

• Posted

Hi Sherona, are you doing better? Have you seeked help from a doctor? I am supposed to have my thyroid removed. And now I'm scared that I will feel worse after than I feel now.

• Posted

Hi matt! I'm curious to know how you're doing now? My husband just has this done and you described his symptoms to a T!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.