I had a perinial abcess drained and packed 3 weeks ago. Today. It transpires I have Hypergranulatio

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a perinial abcess drained and packed  3 weeks ago. It was nearly healed until Today. It transpires I have Hypergranulation and had it treated with slivernitrate. 

The nurse told me I change my dressing too often and that is why this has happened- Today is Monday she said to try and leave my dressing until Thursday!!!!!!😶- but I can see it is filled with liquid. I also peed on it. She said to just wipe it over with a wet wipe. I feel dirty leaving it and desperate to change it..

What do I do???

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Follow her instructions. Nurses deal with this stuff all the time.
    • Posted

I disagree. Staying in a soiled dressing is not good for healing. And unfortunately I've been given poor or wrong advice from a nurse on a few occasions

• Posted

Factors Linked to hyper-granulation tissue development

Hello

I am sorry to hear this. I would feel exactly the same as you and would want to change it. 

Hypergranulation can be caused by the following:

Any increase in exudate volume

Infection or critically colonised (biofilm) wound

Location of the wound (granuloma occur commonly at umbilicus, stoma edges)

Concomitant treatments such as negative pressure wound therapy

Totally occlusive dressings

Ill-fitting dressings or garments

Excess moisture

All I know is after draining my PA my packing would fall out pretty much as soon as it was put in. After the packing stopped I  changed my dressing numerous times a day, this was a couple of small square pieces of gauze. I was still draining pus etc from the wound so the dressing had to be changed and I would use the shower head on the area and flush it using the small tubes of saline I had been given, many people use sitz baths too.  It is important to keep the area clean to avoid re-infection. 

If your dressing is wet with urine I would say this is not hygenic and it will smell which is not going to help you

psychologically trying to deal with this. But perhaps you have a water proof dressing and this is why the nurse says just to wipe it?

I am not medical so if you are concerned get a second opinion from your doctor or better the Colorectal surgeon who treated you to ask for advice. 

But as long as you are not in pain and don't have fever that is the main thing here. 

I hope you are on the mend soon. 

• Posted

Hypergranulation, also known as proud flesh is completely normal. And no don't leave a dressing on for that long, especially a soiled one. The silvernitrate will help some but the area has to be protected from bacteria. It will slowly recede back into the closing cavity and that which won't fit in...the tissue will shed off, this is painless, and it will continue to close. But keeping the wound clean is very important. Eat a good diet, drink alot of water and rest when you can, but movement is good to bring good blood flow throughout the body and promote healing as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.