I had a pilonidal abscess which burst 4 days ago, what should I do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started having pain around the tailbone area and soon a small cyst had formed. Within a day it had more than tripled in size and was extremely painful. It burst after 4 days of pain, leading to a lot of blood coming out which was quite smelly. I went to a&e and was given antibiotics as infection was found in my blood but the area was not cleaned or bandaged which I found odd. It's 4 days later and the area is still bleeding, I've been washing it frequently with water. 

What should I do? I am very worried it comes back as was extremely painful. I was dealt with very quickly as it was accident and emergency so I'm wondering if I should see my GP for advice? Is it likely he will recommend the surgery when I've only had the cyst form once? I've had pain in the area several times before but never a lump before. 

Any advice/experience would be much appreciated!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My son had this problem with a pilonoidal sinus. He's had such pain, I really sympathise. I wd say go back to Dr's or maybe a and e again. Or do u have urgent care centre? It's quite hard to dress it but they did say keep it really clean. And he had an op after only one abscess. It's a tricky one to deal with as I think cleaning the whole area out is only option. Has GP seen it yet at all?
    • Posted

Thanks very much for your answer. I was told it was genetic at the hospital and my cousin has also had the surgery to remove it so I was wondering how they decided who should get the surgery and who shouldn't. I would rather get rid of it as I've heard the longer you leave it, the deeper the cut they have to do. It's just not good timing as I'm in my last few months of uni, due to graduate in July so I don't know if I can postpone. But I think the best thing to do is see the GP and go from there. Has your son's reoccured since the surgery?
    • Posted

I have had 3 operations on mine hung and sum r prone to keep coming back mine does but go 4 surgery u met b lucky and not get it back
    • Posted

Hi there. I wd say yes surgery sooner rather than leave it as my son left it and needed quite major deep cut. They operated quite quickly and it hasn't re occurred but took ages to heal. His skin type I think, it's not a great op if left too long. I sympathise with the timing tho, he had to defer starting uni. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your advice. I saw my doctor and she immediately diagnosed it and has referred me to surgery. She said it could be up to 8 weeks before I get an appointment which would be right when my final exams and stuff will be so might postpone it a couple of weeks later so it's during the summer. Not in any pain just now as it's not infected so hopefully stays that way and I get rid of it once and for all. Thanks again smile
  • Posted

Hi I suffer pilonoidal sinus my burst last year was just loads of blood I went to hospital they cleaned it up when it stopped they just give me antibiotics it went away. I am back on antibiotics at the min as mine has come open a little bit at 2 end I tend to have a salt bath just warm wast hi soak 4 15 mins no longer. And have a water bottle on it as the heat helps swelling. Hope chiseled you hung good luck let me no how you get on
  • Posted

I didn't have a lump but applying turmeric powder on the infected area is a good option. It is good for two reasons - It stops puss development and keep it moisture free and it reduces hair growth in that region. 

With turmeric powder it stops the skin tear to keep coming up and cause you trouble while you leave medications. I sustained 6 months with pilonidal sinus before I got my operation done due to it as had office committments. I also had severe pain and my mother suggested applying turmeric powder to it. 

Six months!! That's huge considering sleeping one day becomes an issue. My doctor also saw it and he was ok with it. You can google the use of turmeric powder.

Use of turmeric powder can give you a normal life back. That is more important

• Posted

Thnq soo much Akshay for the suggestion. . can u help me how u used it plzzz
  • Posted

Keep it packed with gauze, and have a sitz bath to keep it clean a few times a day and after bowel movements. See your doctor and get it removed. I had the surgery and I was off work for 2 weeks. The surgery didn't truely heal for a few months. I had mine for 15 years, it bled and always came back. Also when it is healed, if you have hair in that area, use clippers and trim the hairs low. Don't use a blade. Everyone responds differently to surgery. You will be forwarded to a surgeon and see what they will say about healing time.

• Posted

Hi I have a pilonidal abuse it just poped and i went to a doctor for it but i severed a stroke like a month ago and the doctors don't know why so I can't undergo surgery so getting the best advice on how to work with it in tell i can get surgery is what I'm looking for

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.