I had a Sphincterotomy 6 days ago for chronic anal fissure and tight spincter. How was your recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm still no better off with a BM being easier even on laxatives and lots of pain from cut site.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Hi I am now 5 weeks POST LEFT LIS for the most part the fissure ! (Main issue) is gone , i dont have pain from fissure site, however i'm still battling with the cuts made from surgery in the left side. It still not healed, Actually the recovery was rough for me , ON and OFF there is painfree days and there is painful days from 1-4 weeks post OP, when I reach 5 weeks the pain is slowly subsiding. Good luck , I Could say i am a slow healer, small gain each day.

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds very similar to how I'm healing or not so much just yet. The cut site is definitely the issue right now. The medical staff didn't really give me a timeline or plan of what to expect. I wish you well for a full recovery and hope we both have a good outcome.

• Posted

Everybody is different, My doctor said it will take 2-6 months healing time. I feel like the wounds are healed but i still have soreness in anus. Like burning, pricks , stinging. Very different from fissure. I think this is all post op outcome and will go away in time. Dont expect early it will frustrate you lol. I thought in a month i could be all good but no! its different.

• Edited

Had the surgery twice. 1st one was such an easy recovery because the CRS didn't cut much, so it failed.

2nd one with a different CRS was successful. Pain peaked on 3 days, after a week pain lessened and 2 weeks later everything calmed down. incision and fissure was healed at 6 weeks. Though because I had nerve damage due to having the fissure for several years, the pain didn't go away until several months later as nerves take a while to repair.

So be patient, stick to strict fissure friendly diet for at least 3-4 months, keep stools soft (magnesium citrate/oxide is very good), keep the area clean as possible, multiple showers help and use a handheld shower bidet / water to clean yourself. To dry, dab with tissue until clean, don't wipe.

• Posted

did you take enema before the surgery ??? and how has been your post op condition , how the pain differs from what it used to be with fissures , please explain daywise , i might have to undergo this surgery ,if you could help it ll be very nice of you.

• Posted

I will answer it, Based on my experience yes enema around 4am and surgery at 9am. I cant tell the pain but for me it is worst. A total rough recovery but you might be different. But as of now i am week 7 i feel like im healing. The pain come down and the soreness is very minimal now.

• Posted

I didn't need to have an enema but took movicol before and after the surgery. I still take it today after 6 weeks from surgery but mostly because I need to anyway. I wish you good luck. Hang in there. If you have the surgery just be patient and kind to yourself.

• Posted

I've had the surgery twice. First time was such an easy recovery because the CRS didn't cut much, so it failed. 2nd one with a different CRS was successful. Pain peaked on 3 days, after a week pain lessened and 2 weeks later everything calmed down. incision and fissure was healed at 6 weeks. Though because I had nerve damage due to having the fissure for several years, the pain didn't go away until several months later as nerves take a while to repair.

So be patient, stick to strict fissure friendly diet for at least 3-4 months, keep stools soft (magnesium citrate/oxide is very good), keep the area clean as possible, multiple showers help and use a handheld shower bidet / water to clean yourself. To dry, dab with tissue until clean, don't wipe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.