I had a swollen Labia Majora for a day and a bit, what did this mean?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So Wednesday night I hopped out the bath and felt a feeling 'down there', kind of like when you wear too tight underwear and it just felt uncomfortable.

I just thought "Maybe it's just being silly" like maybe the water was too hot or something. I sat down after cleaning for an hour or two, and I noticed it felt really uncomfortable. I went and checked and my labia majora on the right side had doubled in size. There was no foul smell, no lumps or bumps no itchiness, just the labia was inflamed and swollen and felt 'thicker' than the other side.

Throughout Thursday it continued to get bigger and it was really uncomfortable to sit or lie on. Then today, it's absolutly fine, it's almost back to normal, it's not sore unless there's an intense amount of pressure and its gone back to its normal colour.

After searching the internet I thought maybe it was a Bartholins cyst, but it didn't look like photos and If it was it drained really quickly.

(For reference I am 17 years old (hence why I was quite dismissive of it being a Bartholins cyst because it's mainly common in 20-30-year-olds), I am sexually active with my boyfriend, but we were complete virgins before each other in every sense of the word and use latex condoms every time)

Any help wouldd be very appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did this happen just after intercourse?  Could have been a reaction to friction or even the latex in a condom. If it happens again it may be a Bartholins gland that is blocked, Bartholins blockages can happen at any age so dont assume you are exempt!  It could also be an infection that got into a tiny lesion caused by intercourse. As it has subsided dont worry,but if it recurs again and again it may be worth getting your doctor to have a look,especially when it is swollen.
    • Posted

No, It's been well over a week since I've had intercourse due to my period.  Luckily it's completely 'gone' whatever it was, for now, I'm definitely going to go to the doctors if it happens again though, it's kind of got me worried for a bit as I - like many teens and adults - find talking about this very awkward so I daren't ask anyone about it. Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

For some women, it’s perfectly normal to have swelling in the vaginal area when they’re excited. When you’re in the mood, the vaginal area naturally gets wet and swells. Sometimes, that swelling can last after sex, and if you were a bit rough, the combination of the two can make the swelling a bit more intense.

Like the previous cause, inflammation from arousal need to just last a few hours or days at many. If swelling persists and you experience other symptoms, like pain or itching, see your doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.