I had a thyroidectomy 10 years ago. 2017 was a very traumatic year for me. Anxiety high!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Since the removal due to nodules in the thyroid, Levothyroxine was given  I started at 150mg.  Seems to be ok, slight fluctuations in doses.  137 to 150 and back.   This past year had be extremely traumatic for me and the family.   

August I was rear ended totalling my car.  Pretty wicked concussion I was sick for 2 wks.  With in those 2 wks we noticed our one cat was acting sick not eating.  Found out that thought he had stomach cancer.  So we had to put him down.. sad    

Then October, my daughter had an accident, someone pulls out in front of her, totalling her car.  Were both still going to therapy to fix our bones and muscles. 

Then the worst of all... My very best friend in this world after fighting a second battle with metastatic breast cancer, passed away in December.  

I am going to grievance counseling thanks to her.  

Anyway, with all that has happened, I'm having extreme anxiety at night, then I had a panic attack 2 wks ago. Not understanding what was happening to me.  I just thought it would ease up.   It wasn't.  So I looked up the Levothyroxine Anxiety issue.   I really think due to all that I have gone through last year, it has definitely affected my body.  I just started lowering my level so I don't want to jump out of my own body!  I though I was losing it till I read the affects of the drug.   

I am going to call my endocrinologist and see what to do about this.... I was to go for levels but I'm waiting to see if they want me to lower even more.  I feel like maybe the shock of everything has changed my need for the level im currently on. 

Has anyone experienced this or something similar???? 

Thank you neutral

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sparkie, yes, thyroid medication can cause anxiety. I too thought my newly acquired anxiety was due to a series of stressful events. But, the thyroid medication face new meaning to anxiety.

I have advanced thyroid disease and I take essential amino acids. They aren’t a perfect solution, but MUCH better than the meds.

My mother’s gad her thyroid removed and takes both amino acids and ThyroGold. She’s doing quite well and in fact, many of the thyroid related symptoms that she had for decades (while taking medication) are now gone.

Also, after reading various posts, it appears that lists of side effects are different depending on laws where you live (????). As there were many sudeveffects lusted on my medication that others seem unaware of.

Seriously, anyone who reads the sheets I received with my meds would never take them!  Mine said levothyroxin can cause lupus, fibromialgya, thyroid disease, hypothyroid, goiter,  thyroid cancer, anxiety...  the list went on and on.

Seriously.

Do you receive a sheet stating all the information about uses and side affects when you get your meds at the pharmacy?

• Posted

I never took meds till I had to have it removed.   So side affects that you’re talking about are irrelevant to me.  Been there done that. 
    • Posted

Also, I have fibromyalgia, hasimotos and all before being on this med.  my autoimmune disease I believe if not ct scans for my neck was the cause of my thyroid removal.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.