I had a TKR in Jan 2018 all is go mobile , however

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a successful TKR now a year and a bit on i have terrible pain in the lower back, hips, thighs and buttocks. i am active. have

not seem anyone yet was hoping it would go away. Any suggestions ??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had my TKR Jan 2018 also...and I find when I do too much I also have terrible pain in the lower back, hips, and buttocks. I am assuming that there is strengthening I need to do that I am not doing so I was thinking about going to Physical Therapy to see if they can guide me in the right direction but would also love to hear what anyone else is doing to fix that issue.

• Posted

Pain originating ON ONE SIDE possibly starting in your lower back/hip but definitely running through your butt and down your leg is most likely sciatica. Very, very common in TKR patients as we change our gait to avoid pain and put our lower back and hips out of alignment, shortening one leg more than the other. Enough strain over a few weeks causes the inflammation. The sciatic nerve originates at L4/L5 runs through L5/S1 and then down through your gluteal area to your leg. Most usually correctable by a chiropractor in a few weeks. Got mine at 5 weeks post op...gone in less than a month.

To get some relief until you get this fixed, you can use some Voltaren Gel (RX in US, generic diclofenac elsewhere...check for interactions first) multiple times a day. OTC AsperCream with 4% Lidocaine, plain lidocaine, menthol and/or capsaicin patches may help. You can even try a $25 TENS machine but you'd have to experiment with where to put the pads for greatest relief.

Again, this is an easily correctable TEMPORARY condition. I strongly recommend that you don't start taking RX meds like gabapentin as no medicine will solve the root cause of the pain...spine and hip alignment.

If you have this condition running down BOTH legs, then you could have spinal stenosis. I had that too a year later...could barely walk. That needed surgery to fix. If you have the problem down one leg only, then run...err...walk as fast as you can to a chiropractor.

• Posted

i cant straighten my leg with which i hurt my knee, what do i do while i am waiting for the mri scan ? exercises ? any tips

• Posted

I'm Not-A-Doc, but personally, I'd take some anti-inflammatories, ice and elevate. I would not exercise that knee or put pressure on it until the doc sees the MRI and renders a diagnosis. But it's always your choice...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.