I had a total Thyroidectomy 10 days ago. I feel extremely tired and depressed. Is this normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a total Thyroidectomy due to a large nodule that ended up being cancerous. I’m due to have radioactive iodine therapy in the middle of December to kill off any residule cancerous cells. I’m the meantime my thyroid levels are off. I’m taking 100 mcg of Levo per day. I take it in the morning one hour before breakfast. I still feel off. I was never told anything about recovery from all this except for how the scar will heal. No one explained to me how I would feel emotionally. I feel like I’m in a fog. I can’t concentrate. I cry over everything. I want to lie in bed all day. Minor tasks seem huge. I am so tired. Is this normal? If so how long will it last? Should I contact my endocrinologist? I can’t keep living like this. I’m supposed to go back to work in 2 days. I can’t imagine how that’s going to happen based on how I feel right now. Hellllp!!!!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Doctors didn’t explain recovery to me either. They either don’t listen to patients or don’t believe how serious after symptoms are.  I am a year post surgery and STILL have same complaints you list.  Minor task are still huge. My mind says let’s get busy but body can’t follow.  This cite has been a huge help to me knowing that I’m not alone.  I’ve been in the hospital or ER 11 times with a fib, the fog, memory etc.  I got lost in the hospital.  Someone took pity on me standing in the hallway crying and took me to my Doctors office.  He wrote in my chart, “patient reports getting lost in large buildings”.  That has since become a huge joke that we laugh at.  Not funny at the time tho.  I was convinced for months that I was dying.  They adjust the levothyroxine each time I have blood work done.  It constantly fluctuates between hypo and hyper.  Now I have learned to slow down and ride out the “attacks”.   Be patient and allow yourself to go with the flow.  The more stress the worse symptoms are.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Linda56092,

Did you have the radioactive iodine treatment? I’m scheduled to have that in about 6wks. I have many concerns about staying in my house with the radioactivity that I have read about. I can’t understand why the insurance won’t pay for people to stay in the hospital where they would have proper precautions in place to prevent others from being exposed. My other issue is the low iodine diet. Do you have any tips for that? I have looked up some recipes on Pinterest. The diet looks horrible. This whole thing has become such a nightmare. I’m over it!! I feel like saying forget it. I’ll take my chances. My husband always steps in and talks sense into me. Lol

• Posted

I don’t have any experience with the iodine treatment.  Mine was total removal with no residual.  I read early on that decades ago they put people with these symptoms in sanatariams because they thought they were crazy.  Of course I haven’t been able to locate that article since but it described the progress they “haven’t” made.  A lot of what I’m reading now centers around diet and homeopathic treatment that people are experimenting with.  Am wondering how your return to work is going?  I manage to get there but every day I wonder if I’m even going to make it home.  Of course I do but just drop and am useless til it’s time to do it again.  Am scheduled to watch a web seminar this evening by a Dr. Coker.  We’ll see what he has to offer.  Look up vitamins after thyroid removal.  Haven’t read the whole thing yet but...hopefully we’ll stumble on something useful soon.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hello Linda , 

Just wondering if you have found some good vitamins and what type of food is better to eat after total removal ? 

Any hints and advice would be great at this time for me !

• Posted

Hi Michele,

I hope you are feeling better. Have you had your post Op yet? Also, what has your endocrinologist said regarding the symptoms? I am scheduled to have a total thyroidectomy in a few weeeks and I'm never out about post surgery symptoms. I pray for your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Jessica, 

I am feeling a little better most days. I’m still not back to normal. My calcium levels are improving but i still have to get blood work every week to check them. The fog is still there but i don’t cry quite as easily as before. Today is exactly 4 weeks since my surgery. My singing voice is nowhere near it was presugery. I’m stressed about that also. I would recommend that you have the dr explain the post op steps clearly and take notes so you don’t forget. Prayers for you

• Posted

Michele,

Just three and a half weeks out from my complete thyroid removal and would like to know how you are doing several months down the road.  If I'd known the side effects of the surgery were this bad, I probably would not have gone through with it.  Hope you are doing well.

Cathy

• Posted

Hi Michele , I had mine removed last Monday, and I feel the same way that you were discribing . I am in fog and tearful , I don’t know how to function .

Can you please tell me how you feel now ?

Thanks , and hope to hear from you !

• Posted

Nina,

I'm about 7 weeks out.  When I had my first dr appointment, my medication was too high.  I've had a new lower dose about three weeks and I am finally doing better the last few days. Everyone I have talked with says it take 3-6 months to level out.  They assure me it will get better.  Hope it gets better for you soon.

Cathy

• Posted

Hope by now you are much better.  Unfortunately the surgeon is usually the last point of contact after these surgeries and he is totally unequipped to deal with the chaos left behind.  My surgeon assured me that the surgery was a huge success so when I went home and fell into a huge depression with breathing and heart problems, bone pain and the list goes on, I prayed for death.  After 11 trips to the ER, numerous visits to my GP and changes in medication and diet, two years later I am finally semi stable.  It is my hope that some day they recognize the need for counseling prior to this surgery and education for the medical community involved.
  • Posted

How is everybody doing? I had my thyroid removed 2 days ago. I take my calcium and I'm on 137mcg levothyroxine. I felt great yesterday and today I started to get these hot flashes. I also need to go to the bathroom a lot. And lost appetite today. I called my surgeon and she told me it is the adjusting and the anaesthesia that are making me feel unwell. Any tips how to deal with it a bit better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.